Chapter 26: On the Road

Raven's POV

It's been about a week since the incident with Johnny, and he's gotten it figured out pretty much. He's still apologizing at the beginning of each show in case he messes up, though. For the most part, he's been able to play almost perfectly, all he needs is a little reassurance before they go out. Now after a few shows in Nevada and Arizona, we're on our way to New Mexico.

"Push over, Shads." I hummed, moving to sit beside the man on the couch, the two of us in the back lounge. It was kind of early, and everyone else was still asleep, which means Matt and I get to game with no interruptions. I handed him a cup of coffee and shifted to sit cross-legged, holding my cup with both hands and holding it to my chest. "What are we playing?"

"You should know by now."  "That's really all you play, huh?" "Oh hush, it's fun and you know it." He rolled his eyes, smiling as he set a controller in my lap.

"We doing an online thing, or just story?" I mumbled, watching him get everything turned on and set up.

"I figured we'd do story, since everyone's sleeping on the other side of a thin ass door. I don't think they'd appreciate us yelling," He hummed, turning on my controller for me when he saw how I was holding my mug. "Are you cold, Ray?"

"A little, yeah. The air is cranked hella high." "Why didn't you say anything?" He frowned, causing me to shrug. It was hot on the bus when we went to bed in Tucson last night, so I only wore a tank top and a pair of old sweats from Zack's company, and now the bus feels like a freezer. He shifted, pulling off his hoodie and handing it to me. "Here."

"What? Matt, no." I frowned, brows furrowed as I pushed his hand away. "I'll be fine. Besides, you'll get cold sitting here in just your sweats."

"Raven, I know you well enough to know that you're too nice to go get your sweater on the off chance you'll wake someone up. Now, you can either take this willingly, or I can hold you down and put it on you myself." He gave me a look, and I knew not to argue, since him and Jimmy have done that to me before.

"Fine," I huffed, setting my cup on the table and putting on the hoodie, it still warm from when he had it on. I got a small chill from the sudden warmth, causing my shoulders to shake and Matt to chuckle. "Now, pick up that controller and prepare to get your ass handed to you, Haner."

"I dunno about that Sanders, I've been practicing," I muttered, both of us immediately focused on the screen as the game started. We got through about two of the missions before we heard any movement from up front, the door soon sliding open to reveal Zack.

"How long have you two been up?" He mumbled, still half asleep as he shut the door behind him and sat across from us.

"I dunno, few hours?" I shrugged, glancing over at him and raising an eyebrow. He had dark circles under his eyes, looking like he hadn't slept in days. He didn't even bother touching his hair, which isn't normal for him. "You okay? You look like shit, and I mean that in the most loving way possible."

"I couldn't sleep for shit. I think I got five hours? I've been awake forever, eyes closed, tryna force myself to go back to sleep." He sighed, running a hand over his face. "But I finally gave up."

"Did you get some coffee?" Matt asked, head titled slightly as his character looked through a scope on the game.

"A better question is, did you have an energy drink during the show last night?" I looked at him, the man's face falling as he realized. "Fuck. Yeah, yeah I did."

"Well that's your dumbass couldn't sleep." I rolled my eyes, though couldn't help but feel bad for him. "Hopefully you'll sleep good tonight."

"God, I hope so. I just need you guys to remind me not to drink those damn things anymore."

"I do, like I did last night. But you just looked me in the eyes as you opened the can." I gave him a look, causing the man to hold back an evil smile. "You'd think you guys would know to listen to me by now."

"But if we'd listen to you, you wouldn't get to say 'I told you so' as often as you do."

"Good lord," I sighed, looking back at the tv just in time for my character to get shot, causing me to groan and the guys to laugh. By the time everyone was awake, which took a few hours, I'd moved on from gaming. Now, I was sitting up in the front of the bus, sitting at the little kitchen table and reading a book.

"You're such a nerd," Brian teased, sliding into the booth to sit across from me. "Playing video games and reading books."

"So you're calling Matt a nerd, too?" I glanced up from my book, a brow raised, to which Brian nodded. "Yep."

"I'm a what?" Matt had walked over just in time, standing with his arms crossed and a brow raised.

"You heard me," Brian stood, matching his brother-in-law's stance. I know where this is going.

"Bet you're too pussy to say it again." Oh lord.

"Nah, you're just too pussy to do anything about it." Brian you're gonna get stomped.

"Then say it again, bitch." Here we go.

"I said, you're a little fuckin' nerd." As he spoke the last three words he'd over annunciated each syllable and tilted his head from side to side, and soon enough he and Matt were wrestling on the ground between the couches.

"You guys are too old for this shit," I sighed, shaking my head. Closing my book, I'd crossed my arms as I watched, and the Berry's and Johnny, who'd been sitting on the couches, began yelling something about placing bets. It didn't take long before Zack, Arin, and the others had came into the front, joining in on the shouting.

"I've got money on Brian!" Zack joked, while Dan shook his head. "Nah, Matt's gonna get'em."

"Matt actually works out." Arin snorted, to which I added "Bri just got lucky he's thick."

"Thick but he don't got no ass," Jaime yelled, causing most of the people in the room to laugh. Dean slid in next to me, mumbling "It's probably a good thing Larry's up front with the driver, huh?"

"Yup, because if he wasn't, these boys would be getting their asses handed to them," I hummed, shaking my head. "Grown ass men acting like twelve years olds."

"I tap!" Brian damn near screamed, Matt having his head in a leg lock, Zack, Jaime, and Johnny groaning, the three having wanted Brian to win.

"Don't run your mouth, Bri," Matt huffed, panting as he let him go and moved to sit up, Brian simply laying in the middle of the floor, a hand on his chest as he tried to catch is breath.

"So, did you miss being on the road with us?" Jaime looked over, flashing me a large, goofy grin.

"Actually? A little bit, yeah."