Chapter 10: Family Barbecue

~~Raven's POV~~

"I do this for my family

My daughter loves her daddy

Too many talk down on things they don't know

With colors never faded,

Reckless and unabated

They may take me but never take us all,"  I sang along with Danger Line as I folded the shirts on the back wall. Today is my day to pick the music at work and I have my phone blue toothed to the main speakers.

"I don't understand you," Izzy said, helping me.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You never mention them to customers, but you play at least one of their songs when its your music day," she replied.

"And?"

"It's confusing!"

"I guess," I shrugged. We heard the bell to the front door ring and I looked over to see Suzy walking in.

"Hey Mrs. Haner," Izzy smiled.

"Izzy, please, call me Suzy," she smiled.

"What's up Suzy?" I asked as I hugged her.

"Well I wanted to you that there's going to be a family barbecue at the house at 5:30," she replied and hugged me back.

"Cool, have you told the guys?" I asked.

"Ray, sweetheart, it's a family barbecue. You, me, Brent, Brian, and Michelle," she said.

"Suzy, the guys are always invited to family barbecues. They have been ever since I could remember," I said.

"I know, but this is a Haner family barbecue," she said, brushing a piece of hair out of my face.

"Alright. Bathing suit?" I sighed.

"Yeah, and Pandora," she smiled.

"Okay, I'll see you later," I smiled back and hugged her again. She kissed my cheek before waving bye to Izzy and walking out of the store,

"Well then. How are you going to handle a barbecue with Brent without your dad being there?" Izzy asked as we got back to folding the shirts.

"No clue. But I'm trying figure out why it's just our little family," I said.

"Maybe Suzy wants you and Brian to be closer with Brent?" she suggested.

"We've never been close. Even when we were younger," I stated.

"True," she nodded. "I'm amazed you and Brian are as close as you are, with the ten year gap and all."

"Yeah I know," I said.

Luckily today I got off at 5, so I wouldn't be late to dad and Suzy's house. Brent has been in town for a few days now, and yesterday while we were discussing the new album at Brian's he came over, which put a halt to that conversation. We know he won't leak anything, but no one is really close with him so we don't feel comfortable talking about it around him. On my way home I listened to the radio and had the windows rolled down. It was a really nice Thursday evening with good weather and a laid back feel in the air. I parked in my usual parking spot and then went up to my apartment. I walked in and Pandora came out of my room greeted me. I pet her and gave her food and clean water, then walked into my room.

"Ah!" I screamed as I bumped into someone and I didn't know who it was.

"Woah Raven it's okay! It's me," Matt said, pulling me into his arms protectively.