Chapter 19: Working With A Shadow

~~Raven's POV~~

"How the hell am I supposed to watch him at work?" I asked Matt through the phone.

"With your eyes," he replied.

"Don't get smart with me Matthew," I snapped.

"Just, please?"

"Have Lacey do it!"

"Her and Johnny are coming, too!"

"Ugh, fine. If I get fired, it's on you."

"You can just do our merch," I could tell by the sound of his voice that he was smirking. "I'll bring him over now."

"Whatever," I hung up and threw my phone on my bed. "I can not believe him. Andrew is gonna fire me for sure after this." I ranted to myself as I pulled on a tank top. I went into the bathroom and put my hair up in a ponytail, brushed my teeth, and grabbed my lanyard for work, hooking it to my belt loop. I walked into the kitchen and gave Pandora fresh water and food, then grabbed strawberries from the refrigerator and began eating them while flopping through an issue of Rocksound.

"Knock, knock," Matt said as he walked in with River following him and his booster seat in hand.

"I still don't understand why your parents can't do it," I said, closing my magazine.

"My mom is sick and Val's parents are in Florida," he said.

"Of course," I rolled my eyes.

"Look, if he gets bored just let him watch a movie on your phone or something."

"What if we get robbed?"

"The store is in the nicest part of town!"

"Just go before I make you cry in front of your son."

"Damn, fine." he gave River a kiss on the forehead and walked out. I looked down at the four year old and he just smiled.

"Hi," he said tiredly.

"Hi," I sighed. I put my keys, phone, and wallet in my pockets, then grabbed the booster seat, took River's hand, and walked out and to the elevator.

"Are you angry?" he asked after the elevator doors closed.

"No, just annoyed."

"Why?"

"Because your daddy is a big dummy."

"Why?" Oh the joy of small children.

"Because he likes making last minute plans and not telling me." The doors opened and I took his small hand in mine once again and went out to my truck. I opened the doors and set him in my seat, then adjusted the booster and set him in it, then buckled him up.

"Why can't we bring Pandora?"

"Because we're going to my work." I got in and buckled myself in, then started the engine and began driving to the record store.

"Why?"

"Because I have to work."

"Why?"

"So I can make money."

"Why?"

"So I can eat and have a place to stay and have Pandora."

"Why?"

"Because I need to live."

"Why?"