sixteen - "godson"

𝐆𝐎𝐃'𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐘𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐋 𝐃𝐈𝐗𝐎𝐍
❝ godson ❞

     Every second that passed felt like her limbs were about to give out

She stood off to the side of the quaint living room, Shane and Rick muttering to one another on the couch. Rick's eyes were bloodshot and his shirt was covered in his son's blood. Her hands, too, were sticky with the substance, and every time she looked down at them they would shake uncontrollably.

"You've been there, Partner. Right?" Her brother's voice was thick with emotion as he stared at his boot-clad feet. "And you pulled through. So will he." His words made her heart contract in her chest, because frankly, they didn't know that. She wanted to slap herself for thinking that way, but judging by the amount of tacky red liquid that covered her hands and tank top, her Godson lost a lot of blood.

Her hands shook as she paced the small room, in the distance she could swear she could hear Carl crying out for his father, despite the fact that when she had placed him on the bed he had been out cold. Rick had carried him part of the way, but once he started to stumble under the grief, she had taken him and bolted, following the panted directions of the shooter.

She remembered sobbing loudly for the farmer to help them, her voice breaking and eyes so out of focus she could barely walk up the porch steps.

Suddenly, the door to the bedroom he was in was thrown open and one of the young girls who had disappeared to help came out, calling for Rick. Carl needed blood. Shane was instructed to hold the little boy down to the mattress, leaving Madeline to just stand there and try desperately not to sob again.

"Dad." Carl cried out, clawing at the arm of the older man to try and get to his father. The man was pulling bullet fragments from his chest and all she wanted to do was knock him out for putting her boy through that pain. Carl let out a piercing scream, making his Dad call out for them to stop, saying they were killing him.

"He needs blood!" One of the older women let out.

"Do it now!" Shane screamed from his place on the bed. Once Rick got set up for the transfusion, Madeline needed out of the room. The scent of blood and the echoing sounds of her Godson's sobs was beginning to be too much for her to handle without stumbling.

One of the girls, the one with the short hair, led her out of the room and outside onto the porch. Only then did Madeline let her horror fully wash over her, causing her to stumble into the rocking chair behind her.

"His mother needs to be here." Madeline sobbed, thinking of her best friend who didn't even know her son was laying in a stranger's bed, shot and afraid. "I need to go get her."

"You're in no place to go anywhere." The girl said, washing her bloody hands off with soap and water. Madeline for some reason couldn't bring herself to do the same. If something were to happen, the stains would be the only thing left of him.