twenty-three - "time to process"

𝐆𝐎𝐃'𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐘𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐋 𝐃𝐈𝐗𝐎𝐍
❝ time to process ❞

𝐆𝐎𝐃'𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐘 — 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐋 𝐃𝐈𝐗𝐎𝐍❝ time to process ❞

"Where's your father? He has to be here." Madeline asked, pressing the back of her hand to Beth's forehead. She had been called in by Maggie soon after her fight with Shane, the former saying Beth had collapsed.

"We can't find him anywhere." Glenn said from the corner of the room.

"Well, she's in shock. The stress of the day and being attacked got the best of her." Madeline flashed a light from the girl's eyes, watching as her stare remained blank. Madeline turned towards Lori, who stood at the threshold of the room. "Go find Rick, get the men on lookin' for Hershel." The mother nodded, leaving the room. Glenn followed after her, pressing a soft kiss to Maggie's forehead. The women looked after the man, a small smile on her face.

"You think she's gonna be okay?" Maggie asked, looking back towards her little sister.

"She just needs time to process." Madeline continued checking as many of Beth's vitals as she could with the equipment she had, committing them to memory. "Everyone processes trauma in a different way, and today is no different. I don't mean this is a disrespectful manner, but you all on this farm have been sheltered from the harshness of the world. This was really Beth's first look at it, and it doesn't help the way it happened."

"No, you're right." Maggie agreed. She opened her mouth to say something else but was then called from the other room. The older sister left the room, promising to be back once she knew what they needed.

The world was hard to process, and for a young girl like Beth who wanted to see the world in its best light, it was even harder. She worried about her, about Jimmy and Maggie. What this world would do to them once they had to face it. She worried about Carl, who was even younger than the others. Lori had told her about what he had said after the barn, and that the mother was worried he was growing cold.

Maggie walked back in, drawing the older women from her thoughts. Madeline stood from the bed, filling her in on her sister's condition. Maggie nodded, obviously trying to process it all as well.

"So she's going to be okay?"

"She needs time, but yes she will be." Maggie nodded, hugging the women tightly. "Why don't we sit with her and just talk, take a breather?" Both women sat down on the open space of the bed, Madeline tucking her knees under her chin.

"Glenn and Rick went to get my daddy from the bar," Maggie began, looking out the window briefly before looking back towards the women. "I guess my daddy's way of processing what happened is to take up drinking again."

"They'll find him," Madeline assured. "What's on your mind?" Madeline noticed the women chewing on her bottom lip, her knee bouncing rapidly.

"Glenn," Maggie said, a slight blush on her cheeks.