twenty-seven - "worst case scenario"

𝐆𝐎𝐃'𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐘𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐋 𝐃𝐈𝐗𝐎𝐍
❝ worst case scenario ❞

Shane came barreling out of the forest as the men inspected the shed Randall had been in

Shane came barreling out of the forest as the men inspected the shed Randall had been in. His face was covered in blood and his walk was unstable. He screamed that he had been jumped, his gun stolen.

Madeline couldn't stop her legs from pressing forward, her hands reaching for her brother to inspect his injuries. He pushed past her, however, continuing to scream that everyone had to get inside while the men went to search for him.

Daryl stood beside her, confused as to what was going on. He watched as her eyes narrowed and the gears began to turn. He took a step forward, turning so no one could see as he muttered his own skepticism. "Randall couldn't have weighed more than a buck twenty. And he got the jump on G.I. Joe?" Madeline met his eyes, her entire body on high alert. Even if Shane was telling the truth, if being the key word— why didn't he come to the group before running off? And how did he know the code to the lock on Randall's door? Only Rick, T, and Daryl knew the code because they had been worried about something like this happening.

"I don't feel good about any of this." She confessed as Daryl's name is called by Rick. Her brother said he was going to take the men to where he came to and that the rest of them need to go back to the house and lock the doors in case he came back. Daryl took a step away, beginning to head towards the few men going but she stopped him. "Be careful."

"You too." He nodded. She watched as the men left, the trees enveloping them. She heard Issac call her name, breaking her from her thoughts. She begrudgingly followed after the rest of the group, the pit in her stomach growing wider and wider.

─────

She watched as the sun dropped further and further below the horizon, the men still not back. She stood at the front door, staring out towards the fields, deep in thought. Issac sat behind her on the couch, laughing with Jimmy and T about something she hadn't heard.

"None of this makes sense." She finally exploded, turning on her heel to face the group. They all looked at her with confusion, Issac most of all. "The door was still locked, right T?" T-dog just nodded, his head hung slightly out of shame. "So the only way he could have gotten out is if he slipped his cuffs, scaled the poles, and slipped through a crack in the roof Daryl hadn't covered. All with his leg hanging useless."

"He didn't have another choice. Hopeless people would do anything to survive." Issac countered.

"But he was going to survive. Rick had given up killing him and he knew it. So why did he run when he knew he was going to get free rations and a ride to a safe spot?" Madeline continued, her voice growing more and more desperate. She couldn't get Daryl's words out of her head nor try and stop her thoughts from straying toward the worst case scenario.