thirty-eight - "judith"

𝐆𝐎𝐃'𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐘𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐋 𝐃𝐈𝐗𝐎𝐍
❝ judith ❞

"Madeline?" A small voice whispered beside her, breaking her out of her thoughts

"Madeline?" A small voice whispered beside her, breaking her out of her thoughts. She made a noise of wonder, her brows furrowed as she tried not to lose her spot on the page. She looked to her right, her eyes locking with Carl's as he stared up at her. She dropped the flashlight that she had been holding in her mouth, closing her book with a sigh.

"You're supposed to be asleep." She responded, her voice low. Darkness enveloped the room, her watch reading well past midnight. She had thought she had waited long enough to turn the light on, having rocked the baby to sleep hours ago. After changing into her pajamas, she had then turned her attention to her other baby, though he had swatted at her as she had called him that, grumbling that he wasn't a baby. He had fallen asleep soon after his sister, Madeline having rubbed soothing circles on his back to ensure it. Obviously he was growing out of that little party trick. "What's up, Carl?" She yawned softly, beginning to grow tired herself. She knew the rest of the group had long since fallen asleep, as their snores and grumbling filled the cell block.

"I thought of a name for her." Was all he said, a small, tired smile on his lips.

"Oh, yeah? Lay it on me, big man, then you gotta go back to sleep." Madeline responded, her brows quirked up in surprise.

"What about Judith? Judith Rose." He whispered up at her, snuggling ever closer into her warm side. His words made her suck in a breath, a breathy laugh escaping her.

"That sounds beautiful, bud, where'd you get that idea from?" She asked, trying to stop her voice from wavering.

"Mom always liked the name Judith; said she would've named me it if I had been a girl." He wrinkled his nose at the thought, drawing another tired laugh from his godmother. "And Rose... for you, Maddie. Mom liked you, too." His voice was so soft as he spoke, so gentle that it made her heart almost burst right out of her chest.

"I would hope so, because I liked her a lot too." She smiled, leaning down to rub her nose against his. He chuckled, pushing her away as he settled back against the pillow. "We'll run it by your dad first thing tomorrow, but I think you picked a very lovely name."

"Do you— do you think my dad will come back soon?" The young boy asked after a moment, causing Madeline to look back down at him. She could see the sadness in his eyes, but also there was an anger there too. "He hasn't even held her yet." He scrutinized. Yesterday, once Daryl and her had returned from their run, Rick had come back from the tombs. He was bloody and looked haunted, and he wouldn't even look at Madeline nor the baby. He left almost a quickly as he came, ignoring them as they had called out for him. Madeline sighed, ruffling his hair while she tried to think of an answer.