VII

Belle stirred when she felt a hand trace up and down her spine. She let out a quiet groan, stretching out.

"Morning." Hazel murmured, lightly nuzzling Belle's neck.

"Mornin'." Belle groaned, her Brooklyn accent showing through. "God, where the hell did you learn that?"

"'M not gonna reveal my secrets." Hazel rested her head on Belle's shoulder. "That's for me to know and you to find out. I bet I'm better in bed than that jerk you were fawning over."

"I dunno what I ever saw in him."

"Me either. He's not even cute."

"You just don't think so because you don't even like boys." Belle sat up. "They're both cute."

"Boys are gross. The thought of being with a boy makes me sick; I've told you this already. They can look cute but that doesn't mean I'm going to sleep with them."

"I would."

Hazel raised an eyebrow. "Why? They're pigs."

"Not all of them!"

"Fine, give me one example and maybe I'll believe you."

"Jack Peters. You know, the surgeon. Brown hair, blue eyes. He's sweet."

"He's the only exception."

"What about your three-year-old nephew?"

"He's four, actually, and he's never going to be like the other men." Hazel shook her head. "Look, that's not the point. Most men are disgusting. You've seen how they treated you. Your father, that asshole William in your classes, and then James. They've done nothing but hurt you, Belle. You deserve better."

"I can't help who I fall in love with. I can only accept it and hope it doesn't shatter my heart."

Hazel went to say something, but the TV cut out. They both looked over.

"Breaking news! President Roosevelt has asked Congress to declare war on Japan, following yesterday's attack. Congress has approved and now the United States has joined the fight. More information to follow as we receive updates."

Belle and Hazel looked at each other.

"I'm enlisting." Hazel spoke after a few seconds. "I don't care what anyone says. They're going to need all the help they can get."

"They won't let you fight."

"I don't care. They'll never know."

Belle looked at her. There was a determination in Hazel's eyes that was unfamiliar to her. Yet she wasn't going to stop her. She knew there was no stopping Hazel. When that woman wanted something, she would do whatever it took in order to get to it.

Belle nearly worked herself to death over the next two weeks. Between working at the hospital and helping Hazel pack, she was exhausted. She stayed back the day of Hazel's enlistment to finish packing the last few boxes.

She kept herself busy until the door opened.

Hazel walked in.

"What'd they say?" Belle asked, getting up from off the floor.

"Henry Johnson leaves for training at the end of the week." Hazel pulled down her hood. "Help me cut my hair, will you?"

Belle nodded slowly. "Are you sure about this?"

"Positive." Hazel breathed.

Belle took a scissors to her friend's hair and cut it. Hazel watched in the mirror, silent tears trickling down her cheeks.