XX

After seeing Autumn walk out of her room in her navy blue graduation gown, Belle embraced her tightly.

"I'm so proud of you." She murmured. "So proud."

Autumn smiled, a few tears pooling in her eyes. "I don't think I want to grow up."

"Too late." Belle whispered. "I'll see you out there, okay? Then we'll take you girls out to dinner, ice cream, or whatever reasonable things you want."

"I think they're going to lose their minds." Autumn laughed weakly. "You know how Jess was when she met Steve and Nat."

"She'll be okay." Belle reassured her. "You better get going before you're late. We'll be watching from the bleachers, and you can find us afterwards."

Autumn nodded. She embraced each of her parents one final time before she disappeared out the door.

"She's so grown up." Bucky murmured.

"You're telling me." Belle sighed. "I'm so glad she's a great kid. She's going places. Literally. We don't know where, but she's definitely going somewhere."

Bucky nodded. "Any idea where?"

Belle shrugged. "She's got a few places in mind, or so she says."

He chuckled. "That's what they all say. What are her friends like?"

"You'll see."

Belle and Bucky, among dozens and hundreds of other parents, sat in the school's auditorium as the ceremony went on. The names were called in alphabetical order, by last name. However, when Autumn's name wasn't called, Belle began to panic.

"I'm sure it's okay." Bucky whispered.

"What could have happened?" Belle whispered back. "Her name should have been called."

She tapped her foot impatiently, waiting and hoping that Autumn's name would be called. She stared at the stage, growing more and more worried by the minute.

"Autumn Dixon-Barnes."

The crowd clapped and cheered, and Belle stared in shock. Bucky nudged her and she snapped back to reality before clapping for her daughter.

The rest of the ceremony passed in a blur. Belle was still shocked even after the ceremony concluded. As soon as she found Autumn, she embraced her tightly and fought back her tears.

"I'm so proud of you."

Autumn hugged her tightly. "I wanted to surprise you."

"I'm surprised." Belle whispered. "Why'd you do it?"

"I want to be like you."

"Did you know?" Belle turned to Bucky.

He grinned sheepishly. "Yeah. She told me not to tell you."

Belle put her hands on the sides of Autumn's face. "You are such a brat."

Autumn smiled innocently and started to say something, but she was tackled by Claire, who hugged her from behind. Autumn shrieked, getting a laugh from Claire. Not too long after, Jess followed.

"We did it!" Claire exclaimed. "No more geography with Mr. Knickson."

"Or English with Ms. Destonee." Jess added.

"Or gym class with Mr. Alexsky." Autumn groaned. "God, Knickson didn't know how to teach, Destonee was just a bitch, and Alexsky wanted everyone to go to the Olympics for something."

Claire and Jess giggled. The three girls talked for a bit, and Belle noticed Bucky had taken a step back from them. She walked over to him and touched his back. "They warmed up very quickly to Steve and Nat. They'll like you."