XV

She stared at him. Was he being serious? She couldn't tell.

"You pulled me from the river even though you didn't want to. He didn't want you to pull me out. He wanted to leave me." She started.

He nodded.

She pressed her lips together. "But you refused. You grabbed me anyway."

He nodded again.

"You could've left me there to drown, but you didn't. After everything we went through, you still went in and saved me. Even if you put yourself in danger." She frowned before continuing. "Did you love me then?"

"Probably." He said softly. "I just....I didn't know it at the time."

She nodded.

He loved her? Her, of all people? After everything they'd been through, he loved her of all people?

She was quiet for a few moments. She spoke and her voice was no more than a whisper.

"Do you love me now?"

He nodded. "The museum exhibit said we were engaged. People don't get engaged unless they love each other."

"I know." She breathed.

He loved her.

He loved her.

He loved her.

Her, of all people.

"I love you." His voice quivered. "Okay? That's why I didn't want you to leave in Paris. I didn't know what I'd do if you left. You're all I have. I don't know what would happen if you just up and left like that."

She had nothing to say. She couldn't think of anything to say.

"We're both broken in every way imaginable, but we're all the other has. You're all I have left and no one else understands what we went through. You're all I have." His voice cracked. "I sound like an idiot, I'm sorry."

She stared at him and didn't answer. What was she supposed to say? What else was there to say?

"Say something, please. I feel like such an idiot right now."

Words caught in her throat. She wanted to say something, anything, but she couldn't. James sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, I should've kept my mouth shut."

She shook her head quickly and forced out two words. "Kiss me."

He stared at her. "Belle...."

"Please."

He took her face in his hands and gently brushed his lips across hers. She grabbed onto his collar and pulled him closer. He yanked her towards him and held a tight grip on her waist, kissing her harshly.

She clung to his collar and crawled to his lap, wrapping her legs around his waist. He held his face in her hands and pulled her as close as he could.

"I love you." He whispered, his voice shaking. "I don't know why or when, but I do. I don't know if I'm supposed to or not, but I still do. I don't know if I'm supposed to love you. I think I'm supposed to, but...."

"It's okay." Her voice cracked. "It's okay, okay?" She touched her forehead to his. "It's okay."

He nodded slightly and held her tightly.

He loved her. Her, of all people. After everything they'd been through....he loved her.

He loved her but she wasn't sure if she loved him.