VIII

23 DAYS AFTER THANOS CAME TO EARTH

Belle was holding on. She wasn't sure how, but she was.

She sat on the floor next to the table, where Natasha sat, eating a peanut butter sandwich. Well, she wasn't actually eating it, but she would be. Soon.

The table began to shake. It was subtle, at first, but soon it became more aggressive. Alarmed, Belle got up and looked around. Natasha made eye contact with her.

Steve came out of the bathroom. Belle looked at him, looked outside, and then did a double take of her friend. He shaved.

He flashed Belle a brief smile, then went outside, with Belle and Natasha on his heels. Bruce and James Rhodes followed.

What appeared to be a spaceship was touching down in the grass, with a person underneath. Once the spaceship landed, the doors opened. A blue-skinned someone was walking toward them, supporting a very hurt and weak-looking Tony Stark. Steve ran over to help him.

Belle could overhear what they were saying.

"Couldn't stop him." Tony said shakily.

"Neither could I." There was no specific word for the tone of Steve's voice. It was almost as if he was grieving his failure.

"I lost the kid." Tony's voice began to quiver as if he was about to lose it.

"Tony, we lost."

Belle knew they lost, but no one had ever spoken the words out loud. At least, as far as she could remember. The last three weeks were a hazy mess.

"Is, uh....?" Tony struggled with his words.

"Oh my god!" Pepper ran over and hugged Tony.

"It's okay."

The group slowly made their way inside and sat down. Belle sat at a table near Natasha, and Tony sat at the far end, away from them. The others lurked around and stood wherever they saw fit.

"It's been twenty-three days since Thanos came to Earth."

"World governments are in pieces. The parts that are still working are trying to take a census. And it looks like he did....he did exactly what he said he was gonna do. Thanos wiped out fifty percent, of all living creatures." Natasha added.

"Where is he now? Where?" Tony demanded.

"We don't know. He just opened a portal and walked through." Steve shook his head slowly.

Tony frowned. He clearly didn't like that answer. He turned and looked directly at a very sullen-looking Thor, who sat on a bench away from the others.

"What's wrong with him?" Tony asked.

"Oh, he's pissed. He thinks he failed. Which of course he did, but you know there's a lot of that going around, ain't there?" Rocket spoke up.

Belle scowled. It was normal to be upset about a failure, but it was different when you lost everything in that failure.

She stood up suddenly, causing everyone to stop and stare at her. Ignoring them, she stalked over to the god.

"Listen here, you asshole. You're not going to sit here and sulk all because you lost to Thanos."

Thor's head snapped up and he stared at her. "Don't say his name!" He raised his voice slightly.

"You lost to Thanos, but we all lost!" She shouted. "Sure, you failed, you're a failure, congratulations. I'd rather be a failure than a suicidal criminal. Oh, wait, I'm already all three, but you don't see me sulking about it." She laughed bitterly. "Get ahold of yourself. I watched my husband turn to dust right in front of my face. Not that you'd know how it feels, of course."