XIX

Belle and Autumn walked into a fight. Belle cursed under her breath and grabbed Autumn's arm. "Window. Go."

Autumn, too scared to do anything else, nodded and ran off. Belle slung her backpack over her shoulder. She looked over to Bucky. He glanced up, and without hesitation, shouted, "Get out!"

Trying her hardest to ignore the fighting, Belle ran over to the window. Autumn looked over at her.

"Don't land on your feet. You'll hurt yourself. Tuck your head and roll. You won't get hurt as badly. Go now."

Autumn climbed up onto the windowsill and jumped. Belle followed seconds later, landing next to her daughter. She grabbed her arm and pulled her to her feet. "We need to keep moving."

"But dad-" She started.

"Your dad will be fine."

As much as she wanted to believe those words, she just wasn't able to.

The two ran off together, somehow not getting caught by anyone. Autumn started to stumble as she ran and eventually tripped and didn't try getting back up. Belle pulled her back to her feet and took her face in her hands. "We have to keep going."

"They're gonna find us." Autumn wept. "They're gonna get us."

"No, no, no." Belle insisted. "They're not going to get us unless we stop running. Come on, baby, we have to keep going."

"I don't wanna run anymore, mama." 

Belle's heart hurt. Her daughter was so young, yet she already wanted to give up running?

"Me either." She whispered. "But we have to. I'm not going to let them hurt you. They won't get to you, I promise. You need to stay close to me, okay? I'll look after you, just like I've been doing. I'm not going to let them hurt you."

Autumn wept softly. "I'm tired, mama. Why can't we just be normal?"

Belle hugged her tightly and put her chin on top of her head. She understood how her daughter felt. She was tired of running. Tired of fighting.

If she was alone, she would've let them take her already. She would've let them take her and do whatever they pleased. Whether they wanted her dead or locked up for good, it didn't matter.

But now that she had two children to protect? She wasn't going down without a fight.

"I'm sorry we're not normal, I really am. I'm trying my best so we can seem normal." She kissed the top of her head. "Come on, I hear people. I don't want them to get to you."

Autumn nodded.

Belle let go and grabbed her hand. They ran off again, trying to stay ahead of the people slowly catching up to them.

Someone dropped down in front of them. Belle shoved Autumn behind her and stared at the person. They were dressed in all black, including a mask that covered their face. Pointed ears sat at the top.

"Where is he?" 

So it was a man under the suit. She could tell by the voice.

"I don't know." Belle answered. "Go find him yourself."

"Tell me where he is."

"No. Didn't you hear me? Why can't you men take 'no' for an answer? It's not that difficult." 

"You're making this situation worse than it has to be." He flicked his fingers and long claws popped out. 

Belle grabbed Autumn's arm and shoved her ahead of her. Autumn took off, Belle following at her heels. The cat-man chased them.