XIV

October 2021

Things were okay. They were by no means perfect, but a lot changed in two years. Belle and Autumn were settled into their routine of being a family of two. Sometimes, they'd invite Steve or Natasha over for dinner, or Belle would host some of Autumn's friends from school as they worked on a project of theirs.

Autumn would be sixteen in January. Technically she was older, but Autumn always dismissed it. She'd rather live as a child than an adult right now, and Belle didn't blame her.

After a lot of persuasion from Steve and Nat, Belle started going to therapy. It was unpleasant, to say the least, and she'd never admit it out loud, but it did help with most things. Her therapist's name was Charlotte, a smart-mouthed redhead who always pointed out things that got on Belle's nerves. She knew Charlotte only meant the best, and was only doing her job, but Belle had no problem telling her how annoying she was.

Charlotte wasn't pleased when Belle came into a session with a half-sleeve of flowers tattooed onto her right bicep. Belle laughed and said it wasn't done yet, which earned her a disappointed look from Charlotte.

There were a dozen flowers on her arm, each one signifying a relapse. But if there were flowers and other pretty things on her arm, Belle would be less likely to hurt them, or herself. While Charlotte understood that logic, she reminded Belle that a permanent decision on her body wasn't the best decision.

Belle only laughed. Autumn enjoyed the flowers on Belle's arm. Since they were black outlines, Autumn could color them in, which Belle learned helped with her anxiety. So, being a good mother, Belle let her fifteen-year-old daughter color in her tattoos after they healed.

Belle knew Autumn wouldn't say it out loud, but Autumn still loved to color and doodle on herself and other people.

"Claire and Jess want to stop by after school today to finish our project. It shouldn't take long, though." Autumn mentioned as she grabbed her lunch from the fridge.

"You know that's fine. I like them both enough to say no." Belle teased. "They're more than welcome to stay for dinner, too."

Autumn grinned. "Thanks ma!" She hugged Belle briefly before leaving for the day.

Having the day off, Belle hummed to herself as she rummaged through the cupboards and fridge to figure out what to make for dinner. She knew Autumn and her friends would be fine with anything, but these kids were so busy and overworked that they deserved something nice once in a while.

After pulling out the ingredients to make homemade pizzas, Belle glanced over at the clock. A few hours would be enough time to make a few pizzas for some high school kids. She got a glimpse of the calendar, then cursed. Steve and Nat were coming over for dinner tonight, too.

With a defeated sigh, Belle texted them, asking them to bring a small side dish to have with dinner. Within minutes, they happily obliged.

That weight was off her chest, thank God. She put on some music and began prepping for dinner.

The day breezed by, and Belle was so lost in her own world that she didn't hear Autumn's key in the door, nor the three girls come inside. She turned around to grab the jar of pizza sauce and jumped in fright.

Autumn grinned apologetically. "Sorry. I thought you heard us come inside. You know, with your hearing and everything."

"I'm a little distracted, if you haven't noticed. So no, I didn't hear you come inside." Belle teased. "You walk too light on your feet. I wonder where you got that from."