XVI

"Hey, Belle, do you have a minute?" 

Belle looked up. "What is it, Steve?"

"I've got a question." He pulled her aside. "Well, a favor, more like. A big favor."

"What is it?" She asked.

"I'm putting together a team to go up against HYDRA. I haven't asked anyone else yet, but having you there would be a help."

"Why? I don't fight, Rogers."

"Maybe not, but you can learn." 

Belle stared at him.

"I'm joking!" He said quickly. "But in case something happens to us, it'd be nice to have you there. You are the best of the best."

"Are you trying to compliment me into joining your team?" She crossed her arms.

"Is it working?"

She pressed her lips together, then sighed. "Alright, but I expect something in return."

"Like what?"

"I want your dessert from now until the end of the month. And I want Bucky to be there."

"But-"

"Dessert, Steven. Take my offer or leave it." 

"Alright, fine." He gave in. "You really think Bucky wouldn't be there?"

"You never know. I am going to be staying with him at night, I hope you know. I will walk out if I'm not allowed to be with him." 

"You'll be able to stay with him, stop worrying." Steve rolled his eyes. "Are you needed right now or am I allowed to steal you away for the night?"

"I think I should be able to leave. Why? Where are we going?"

"We're going out to have some fun. You might want to change." He added at the end. "I'll find you in ten minutes."

Belle nodded. She told the girls she was heading out and then went back to her tent to change. She threw on her old blue dress, the same one she used to wear when she'd go dancing with her friends, and pulled her hair back. 

If only she could braid it herself. Maybe then she'd feel pretty. 

She shook her head, clearing her head. Steve called her name from outside, so she slipped on her shoes and walked out. He gave her a slight smile. 

"Ready?"

She nodded, walking over to him. He held out his hand to her, which she took. 

"Come on, let's go find Buck. I told him we're going out and that I'm expecting him to be there."

"Did you tell him to shower?" 

"No, because he's not mine to order around."

Belle grinned. Steve rolled his eyes, walking into the bar. She followed, looking around for Bucky. She didn't see him, so she ordered a drink and stayed close to Steve, who talked with some of his other friends. 

She was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't hear footsteps behind her. Someone touched her back, causing her to flinch. 

"Hey, doll." Bucky murmured.

She leaned back on him. "You showered."

"I did." He hummed. "Drinking already?"

"You weren't here to get my drink for me so I got it myself." Belle smiled innocently. "If you would've gotten here sooner, Sargent Barnes, you could've walked me here, opened the door for me, and got me a drink. But since you're too slow, your best friend did it for me."