XVIII

A/N: who ordered heartbreak with a side of tears?

"Sit still." Belle murmured, dabbing disinfectant on a gash on Steve's cheek. 

"It stings."

"That's the point, blondie, that's how you know it's working. You have a greater chance of dying from an infection rather than a straight gunshot wound."

He winced again. "Are you almost done?"

"I would be, if you'd still!" She grabbed Steve's jaw and held his face still. "Don't move! I'm being serious this time!"

She finished cleaning his wound and let go of him. He rubbed his jaw and sent her an annoyed look.

"I'll never understand how Bucky puts up with you. You're so bossy."

Belle laughed. "Me? Bossy? That's hilarious. I am literally the least bossy person you will ever meet."

She looked over and saw Bucky laughing. She put her hands on her hips and turned to him. "Sergeant Barnes! What's so funny?"

"Every word that's coming out of your mouth, dollface." He grinned, desperately trying to hold back his laughter. "You are the most bossy person I've ever met. Depends on the situation, but you're normally very bossy."

"I'd stop laughing and get over here if I were you. Last time I checked, you're also hurt. Come sit." She ordered.

Bucky stopped laughing and looked up. His face fell as he stood up. "Yes ma'am."

He walked over and sat down in front of her. She dipped a cloth the bucket of water that sat at her feet and wiped his face off. She worked in silence, wiping his face and cleaning his wounds. She tugged on the collar of his shirt, signaling him to take it off. He did what he was told, this time without complaint. 

She cleaned the blood off his small scratches. He'd flinch every so often, but would always go back to the way he was sitting. 

Belle stayed silent as she did a double-check on him. The last thing she wanted to do was miss a wound and have it get infected. Or worse.

"You're good." She whispered. "All clear."

"Thank you, Colonel."

"I'm just doing my job, Sergeant Barnes."

He stood up and put his shirt back on. 

"I'm going to go check on the other boys. We wouldn't want to lose them."

"No, we wouldn't." He agreed.

She went to walk off, but Bucky grabbed her arm and pulled her back, pressing a kiss onto her mouth. Belle leaned on him, reaching up and running her hands through his hair, messing it up even more than it already was.

"There's a time and a place for that, pal, and it's not here and now!" Steve hollered.

Bucky pulled back and turned to look at Steve. "You know what, I don't care!"

He grabbed Belle by the collar and kissed her again, this time pulling her into him. She held his shoulders, trying to keep her balance.

Steve groaned while the other boys laughed and whistled. Belle couldn't help but chuckle into the kiss.

"Mine." Bucky murmured, touching his forehead to hers.

"Only yours." She reached up and touched his cheek. "Forever and always."

"Forever and always." He echoed, glancing at the ring that sat on her finger. 

She smiled, holding eye contact with him for a few seconds.