XI

Someone was gently pulling the blankets away. Belle stirred, letting a groan fall from her lips.

"Time to get up." Bucky's lips brushed her forehead. "I went out and got your things already. I knew you wouldn't want to wake up. I let you sleep as long as I could, but we need to leave soon. Or else we'll be late."

He tugged the blankets away. She shivered, reaching for them.

"You need to get up, doll. We're going to be late. Here, let me help you get dressed." 

He helped her sit up and get dressed. Belle, being sore, took a little longer than expected. Bucky grabbed their bags and looked around one last time. 

"You ready?" He asked.

She nodded, rubbing her eyes. He slung their bags over his shoulder and pulled her to her feet. She leaned on him for a few seconds.

"I'm alright." She whispered.

"Okay." He gave her a soft smile. 

They headed out, side by side. He kept a gentle hand on her back, holding her steady. 

"You ready for this?" He whispered.

She shrugged. "I don't have much of a choice, do I? I can't back out now. People need me, James. Backing out now would be cowardly and selfish."

He sighed. "I guess you're right." He took hold of her hand and squeezed it. "We're almost there. Come on."

Belle stuck close to his side, ignoring the ache in her back and legs. 

They arrived at the dock and met up with the others who were shipping out with them. Belle looked around, then pressed a gentle kiss to Bucky's cheek. 

"I need my bag. I'm supposed to go by the other nurses."

"Can't you stay with me?"

"Sorry Sarge." She adjusted his hat. "People need me. I won't be far."

"I know." He held her face in his hands. "Find me later?"

"You know I will." She kissed his nose and took her bag from him. 

She trotted off, her heart fluttering in her chest. Belle gathered by the other nurses. When the time came, she glanced back over her shoulder and boarded the ship. 

The sun was barely starting to peek over the water. She leaned on the railing of the boat, watching the sun's reflection on the water. People walked past her, murmuring to each other, or not talking at all. 

Someone put their hands on her waist and their chin on her shoulder. She leaned back, putting her head on their shoulder.

"It's time to get some rest." Bucky murmured.

"I like that idea." She whispered. "Carry me?"

"You're so dramatic." He picked her up bridal style and walked off.

She curled up in his arms. Despite the fact they were leaving their home country to live on the front lines of war, she was safe. As long as she had Bucky, she was safe. She was home. 

"We're gonna have to figure something out, doll. The bed isn't exactly going to fit two people." 

She mumbled something into his chest. He took her bag and set it down next to his, then sat down on the bed. Belle nudged him and pushed him onto his back. She moved and laid on her stomach, stretching out on top of Bucky. His hands found her waist. She adjusted herself so her head was tucked under his chin.

"Get some sleep." He murmured. "I'll protect you."

She relaxed in his arms. A soft sigh fell from Bucky's lips. Belle got comfortable laying on him, then dozed off.