VIII

So much had happened in the last few minutes. He wasn't able to comprehend any of it right now. His only focus was on her.

He set her down in the grass for a few seconds. He muttered a quiet "Sorry." when he bumped her head on the ground, even though he knew she wasn't able to hear him.

He looked at her for a few seconds. 

He could swear she moved. That was impossible. 

He must be seeing things.

No, he wasn't seeing things. If he had been anyone else, he wouldn't have been able to notice the twitching of her eyelids. The faint rise and fall of her chest.

He quickly turned her onto her side. He was desperate to save her. If there was any chance, he was going to take it.

Everything was quiet. So, so quiet. 

Was this death? Would she be conscious for all eternity, forced to listen to her surroundings, unable to do anything about it? 

That seemed like a fitting punishment for someone like her.

Water filled her throat and she coughed. It burned her throat and caused silent tears to trickle down her cheeks. All she coughed up was water, so why did it hurt so much?

A weak sob left her mouth. She was still here, still alive, forced to live with herself. 

"You should've left me." She coughed. "Woulda been better off without me."

He didn't answer. Instead, he picked her up in his arms and walked off. She fell quiet and rested her head on his chest. She closed her eyes, but he shook her gently.

"Stay awake." He muttered.

She rested her head on his chest. "Where are we going?"

"I don't know."

"What are we going to do?"

"I don't know."

She looked down at the ground. They had no mission. No one to answer to. Nowhere to go. They were alone.

They had each other, right? 

He set her down on the ground. They were hidden, for now. It was going to get dark soon, but she didn't mind.

"Are we going to be okay?" She asked softly.

"I don't know." He sat down next to her.

She pulled her knees to her chest. "What do you know?"

"I knew him. Once." He pressed his lips together. "I knew you, too. I'm supposed to hate you....I think. I just....can't."

"Why?"

"I don't know. You were important to me once. I don't know why, or when. I just know."

She was quiet for a few seconds. "You know more than I do."

He looked over at her. For once, she was able to read his expression.

He looked hurt. Scared, almost. She could tell he was trying to hide it, but she could read him far too easily.

She hugged herself. She was cold. Tired. Scared.

All she wanted was for someone to hold her and tell her it was going to be okay. She knew she wouldn't get that from Winter. Hell, she just wanted someone to hold her. She didn't need anyone to tell her it was going to be okay, because it wasn't going to be.

She looked at him. He was already looking at her. Studying her.

"You were important to me." He murmured.