Misfortunes of Ivan

(Monica's Pov)

*11th Grade*

The boy that stood at the front was taller then Miss Wagner. His purple eyes looked at every student like he was investigating us. Miss Wagner looked through her desk, so she didn't introduce the boy yet. The students whispered to one another about the boy.

"He's cute like childish cute." One girl whispered to her friend, loud enough so I could hear.

I looked down at my class notes once it was my turn to be stared down by the mysterious man. I glanced up after a minute of hiding to see that he didn't take his eyes off me yet. His lips were curved into a big smile and his face was round and pale as snow. The teacher finally stopped digging through her things and went up next to him.

"This is Ivan Braginski,"She explained,"He's from Russia and I want you all to be nice to him and help him around." Ivan's smile widen.

"Can you speak some Russian?!" One boy ,who is known to be obnoxious, laughed.

Ivan's face went sour at his words. His eyes seem to darken and his smile disappeared from his face. He started to chant,"KolKol..." to himself quietly. Miss Wagner yelled at the obnoxious boy.

"How about you sit behind Monica?"She pointed to the empty desk behind me. I tried to scoot to the edge of my seat as unnoticeable as possible. I swore that the air got colder once he sat at the seat.

__

"Monica." Someone grabbed my sleeve and pulled me back before I could exit the classroom.

I looked back to see Ivan was the pulled me back. He didn't look as tall as he did in the front of the class. I was about to his neck that had a scarf wrapped around it. His smile has found it's self on his face again.

"Do you know where cooking is?" He asked, releasing my sleeve.That's my next class.

"Yeah."I replied. I began to walk with him slowly trailing behind me.

I sat at the table with the other two people were. The class had five tables along with four chairs. We worked with the people at our table. My table was the only one with three people and I already knew that Ivan was going to join our group.

As I predicted, Ivan joined our table.

"Wash your hands first." I commanded Ivan. We were going to make cake today and I had to show Ivan around because the other two people in our group refused. He washed his hands.

"Monica so we probably going to get to know each other with these two class together!" I swear he never let's that smile leave his smile for more than a second.

*After school*

The rain poured down on me as I heard muffles of cries near by. I didn't think anything of it until I recognized the voice.

Ivan.

I looked over the brick wall to see Ivan sitting on the dirt with his back up against the wall. His head was in his knees and his phone lied on the muddy ground. The rain cascaded on the top of his head, turning his hair to a darker blond. He mumbled Russian to himself.

"Ivan?" I whispered,so quietly that I doubt he heard it. I revealed myself by stepping out from hiding behind the wall. He didn't seem to see anything.

"Ivan." I said more clearly than last time. He looked up at me. His eyes were red and I saw him without his smile.

"Monica." He wore a broken smile filled with sadness."Why are you still here?"

"I tutored some kids after school." I told him as I crouched down next to him.

"Do you need a ride?" I asked him as he shoved his head back into his knees. He nodded. I got up and he soon followed.