When He Smiled

(Monica's Pov)

I stirred the soup as the wind blew through the house. I looked out at the bright sun in the sky. It was a beautiful day with blue skies and a few fluffy white clouds in the blue sky. My bare feet tramped on the wood floor while I made it the sliding door. I pushed the door open to be hit with a gush of cool wind. It smelt like flowers and dirt, things that are amazing to smell when you been cooped in a house or an office for weeks. It was nice just to relax for once. I walked back to the stove for the potato soup that my mom's been begging me to make.

I heard the quiet footsteps of my mom behind me. I turned around. She stood there, her light blonde hair slightly growing back, her bright blue rode with her name'Aurora' sewn to the chest that was fading into a light blue, and her brown eyes filled with curiosity. She's been happier and you can't go a day without seeing her bright smile.I haven't seen her like this since I was a small child and dad was sober.

Once I turned eight she became sad and almost emotionless, and dad became drunk and angry. She never stood up for herself or me, even after getting hit in the face or having the painting she made ruined. My father died of a car crash when I was eighteen and my mom became a wreck. I moved to America for a new start but I still carried the burden of my dad with me. I could see the happiness growing back inside my mom.

"Why do you just stay home and make food for an old lady?" My mom questioned,walking over to me.

"Because your sick and can't do it." I replied, still stirring the food.

"Go out and get some friends." She commanded as she tried to snatch the spoon from me.

"I do have friends!" I protested, trying to fight for the spoon.

"Not here!" She boomed. She push me, but still couldn't get the spoon from me.

I finally let go of the spoon after realizing I'm fighting with my sick mom for a spoon. My mom let out gasp of breaths while she smooth out her robe. A smile appeared on her wrinkled face.

"I won, so I get to make the soup while you go out and find friends!" She demanded and then she let out a laugh. I knew she was dead serious even with the laugh.

__

The town square was a fun place filled with tourists or little kids playing. A fountain was in the center and flowers bloomed everywhere. Small shops surrounded the square. I sat on the bench by a bakery, reading a book. I wasn't actually going to find friends, i'll just say I was trying.

"I don't want to!" I heard a child scream. I quickly looked up, scared for the child. I was shocked to see that it was as grown man being chased by a women with long blonde hair.

"Marry me!" The women yelled. Another women chased after the blonde women, with tears in her eyes and a worried face.

"Hey!" I yelled at the trio. Their faces look over at me, but the blonde women, who tackled the guy to the ground.

"There are people here other then you!" I barked, getting off the bench to walk closer to them.

"We apologize." The crying girl whimpered. Her face was round and childlike, and her blonde hair was short.

"Help!" The man under the women, yelled as tear rolled down his cheeks. I grabbed the women's dress and tried to roll her off but to no avail. I finally managed to push to girl off after many tries, for she held on to him like she was stuck to him.

"I was trying to get brother to marry me!" She hissed at me. Okay, this family is weird. Her purple eyes shot daggers into me and her light blonde hair was like a monster, sticking out in all different directions.

"Let's go, brother." She got up off the ground and slightly kicked her brother's side, causing him to whimper.

"Wait." He said, getting off the ground with help from the other girl.

"Monica?" The man questioned.

__

By the way, Russia isn't going to be a bad guy. He's going to be a bit creepy and stalkerish, but not evil. I love Russia, he's one of my favorites next to Germany and Prussia.

~Leah