Chapter Twenty Four

What Could Have Been

Sato Mansion

Republic City

~Asami~

The following morning was nothing but hard for the two women. Both women knew that keeping Korra isolated in the southern water tribe wasn't going to be permanent but the question was when they were going to see each other again? It could be days, months or years. As they walked down the stairs together in complete silence Tonraq was already waiting at the opened front door for Korra. The bender was so torn and was trying not to look at Asami. The CEO on the other hand was trying so hard not to burst into tears that was until they made it to the front door. Korra turns to face the beautiful nonbender and that's when tears started flowing out of Asami's emerald eyes. Luckily the taller woman wasn't wearing her usual make up otherwise that would have made her look like a total mess. The crystal blue eyed woman pulled Asami in for a tight embrace.

I need to tell her

Korra cups the older woman's cheek and softly spoke, "Asami, there is no need to cry. We will meet again. I promise you."

Tell her that I love her

The nonbender stops crying and smiles, "I know babe.. It just pains me that I can't come with you."

Why can't I just say it?

Korra looked into those vibrant green eyes, "I want you to come along but I just can't let you just risk your life again for me."

My heart feels so heavy right now

Korra I love you so much

"I'm sorry Asami, but Korra, we have to leave now." Tonraq spoke with firmness.

I can't believe that she is actually leaving me right now

I just got her back and now she's going

Asami pulls Korra in for a passionate kiss. Lips were trembling against each other as both of them became emotional again. A single tear running it's way down the CEO's cheek. The Avatar pulls away, grabs her bag and heads straight out of the door.

The nonbender watched Korra and Tonraq leave on Naga. Asami sighs and looks away when they are no longer visible. As she goes to close the door something was jammed in-between the door and the frame.

Why didn't the door close?

Wait-

Why is there a foot?

Asami opens the door wider and looks in absolute shock. It was like she had seen a ghost.

Oh my-

The woman that stood in front of the CEO was indeed very familiar to her and spoke, "Hey Sami.. It's been awhile."

Why?

Why you?

Out of all people, you?

Asami rolled her eyes at the bender in front of her and was quick to comment back, "Don't you dare call me that! You lost that right to say that a long time ago. I thought that my father made it clear to you to never speak to me again."

The earthbender took a step into the house and started talking in a raspy voice, "Oh I know Sami, but you have much greater problems than just you and I.."