CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

Far From Good

Air Temple Island

Republic City

~Mako~

Zaheer's plan was working and Mako was on edge for the whole time. Pema let Mako stay at the island for as long as he liked. Something had changed since the firebender was last there. The island was full, full of airbenders. It was a positive change to the temple. Mako knew that Tenzin would have been happy, he would have been proud. The firebender spent his time at the temple watching Jinorra teach all the newly founded airbenders how to bend the element of air. The young airbender knew how to become a leader. Her crazy uncle Bumi was also there training alongside. Meelo and Ikki were teaching them how to train sky bison. They all looked full of hope, full of happiness. Mako was feeling more and more guilty as the time progressed.

Why did I do this

Why did I say yes to this plan

These people are harmless

They have done no wrong

I'm an idiot!

As the night kicked in he was beyond exhausted and hadn't heard anything from Zaheer since the early morning. It had put Mako off, something wasn't right. Where was Zaheer and what was he up to? Mako sat on his bed waiting silently. The paranoia kicking in.

I can't sleep

Need to stay awake

Maybe he will kill me

Who knows

There was a gentle knock on the door and it startled the broody firebender. A soft voice spoke through the paper thin door, "Mako, it's Pema. Is it okay if I come in and we have a chat?"

I thought it was okay to stay..

Have I overstepped?

Mako got nervous, "Umm, yeah. Come in."

The older woman had steaming hot fresh potato buns on a plate and sat next to him on the bed. "I know that things have been difficult for you lately Mako. I've heard a lot from a lot of different people that you haven't really been yourself."

What would you know?

You just know me as Korra's friend

Probably Korra's Ex now..

Why would you take everyone else's opinion and assume that I am the one that is different?

"Are you okay?"

That question stumbled Mako, it made him think for a moment. His brain stumbled, it was scrambling for a proper answer.

Am I okay?

Honestly.. No, I'm not okay

Everyone has left me and I'm stuck with a killing airbender

Mako looked straight into Pema's eyes. The firebender couldn't bring himself up to answer what had seemed like a pretty easy question. Although he didn't actually need to say anything, the older woman that sat next to him could tell how broken the boy was.

Pema passed the plate of food to the bender and spoke, "It's okay, the temple is a safe space. Whatever you need, we are here for you. I won't tell Korra that you are staying here, if that is what you want?"