Episode 1. Pilot | 6

Julianne Bailey Routledge

A gasp from the couch made my ears perk. I looked over, finally seeing my brother had awoken. He had passed out after being nearly drowned by Topper last night.

"He's awake!" I called into the kitchen, officer Peterkins emerging from the hallway. She had come by this morning, but wouldn't say anything until John B woke up.

"Get decent, sweetie. We need to talk." She told him. John B got up and freshened up, me and Peterkins waiting for him to return.

When he did, Peterkins spoke again, "Sorry to break in like this, but DCS called. They wanted me to check in on you. See how you're doin'. So, how are you, besides the-" She motioned to her eye, symbolizing the nasty black eye that John B brought home last night.

John B stuttered, "Oh, no, I'm great."

"Yeah, fantastic." I cut in.

"Thanks for coming by." John finished.

"I'm so glad to hear you say that." Peterkins said, "But I heard a few things that worried me."

John B and I began clearing the tables, trying to make it look like we weren't living in filth.

Peterkins continued, "Let me see if I can remember. Oh, yeah. On of the things I heard was that your Uncle Teddy, your guardian, hasn't been in the state for three months."

John B was the first to speak up, "Yeah, that's false."

Sheriff Peterkins shook her head, "You don't have to say anything. I know it's true. I called the school. They said you two used to be good students, but now you're both failing all your classes

It was true; John B and I weren't exactly A plus students, especially now that there's no adult figure around, but could you blame us?

John B denied it, "No. No, I'm only failing one, and it's history. The duded a dick." I hit him on the arm, giving him a 'wtf' look.

Peterkins went on, "And I heard there was a fight on the beach yesterday, and a gun was involved."

John B was silent, leaving me to defend us, "Okay. Gun? No. Did he get in a dust up? Yes, but was there a gun? No. No way."

"That's okay. I know who it was, I'll get to him. All I'm worried about now is making sure that you guys are in a safe home."

John B scoffed, "Yeah, super safe. Super sound, sturdy. You know? And, Uncle T's coming back, so."

Peterkins wasn't convinced, "That what he told you?"

"Yeah."

"Well, if he really is coming home, I think you should be allowed to stay."

"Thank you."

"But if I stick my neck up for you, you have to help me. Tid for tad."

"What does tad mean?" John B asked.

"Let me see, how could you help me? Oh, I know. So, a body was found in the marsh yesterday. Were you guys in the marsh yesterday?" She said, making my body stiffen. I could tell John was freaking out on the inside.

"Yeah, we were fishin' for some drum." He said.

She nodded, seeming interested, "You catch anything?"

John B shook his head, "Nah, we were skunked." Mistake number one. I internally groaned, wanting to punch myself for letting him speak.

Sheriff tilted her head, "Strange. Fishing's usually good after a storm. All sorts of things get stirred up." I could tell by the look on my twins face that he knew he messed up, "You come across a wreck yesterday?"

"No." This time, I did the talking.

She sighed, "You guys are skimming just above the surface. Now, down here is foster care, juvie. Pretty big drop for smart kids like you. Up here is you guys and your little friends doing whatever you want. Outer Banks.. or foster care on the mainland."

John B took a seat next to me, obviously stressed.

"You one inch above the surface, Julianne, John B. If was either of you, I'd start flappin' my wings. Now, you sure you didn't come across a wreck yesterday?"

I spoke up before John could, "Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure."

Sheriff came down to our level, "It's better if you didn't, you understand? I'm gonna look the other way, as long as you stay out of the marsh." She began to walk out, stopping in the doorway, "I got dogs livin' better than this. You might wanna think about cleanin' up."

Then, she was gone. Leaving me and John B to think about the words she left us with. John B grabbed an empty can, chucking it at the wall. I started crying, John B wrapping an arm around my shoulders, pulling me into him.

Reminding me that no matter how bad things got, we'd always have each other.

------

The rest of the first episode will be in the next chapter

The rest of the first episode will be in the next chapter. I'm warning you guys now, this book is probably going to be very long, so I hope you're ready for the ride, granted, by the time you're reading this, the whole book is already done and in my drafts.

Thanks for reading <3