Episode 7. Dead Calm | 27

Julianne Bailey Routledge

After dropping everyone off at the Chateau, John B, Sarah, and I headed home. Home. The word still felt foreign on my tongue. I never would have guessed that I'd be calling Figure Eight home. I was exhausted from today, going up to my room immediately.

I still couldn't believe that we actually found the gold. I had cleaned out my wound before finally lying down. I heard John B and Sarah go their separate ways a bit later, indicating that they were hitting the hay, too.

The next morning, John B woke me up by tapping on my door.

"Come in." I groaned, flopping back on the bed.

He opened the door, walking in and closing it behind him, "Ward is taking us fishing tomorrow."

I sat up, furrowing my eyebrows, "What? I'm staying back; I don't even like fishing."

He sat on the edge of my bed, running a hand through his hair, "I told him that, but he insisted. He said that you can tan or something. He wouldn't take no for an answer."

"Great." I huffed, "Now we're gonna be a day behind."

"We'll figure something out. Plus, he's letting us live with him. Fishing with him is the least we could do." I nodded at him and he stood up, "Let's go. We gotta pick everyone up so we can pawn the gold."

"Let me change first. I'll meet you at the van in 5."

He left the room, leaving me to change.

An hour later, all of us were pulling up to the shop. Somehow, it was decided that JJ and I had to be the one's to talk to the lady.

JJ hopped out, bashing Kie for her melting job, "Hell of a job melting it down, Dr. Frankenstein."

I scoffed, climbing out behind him, "Like you could've done any better."

"I could've done better. I took a welding class."

John B shushed us, "Chill out, okay?"

JJ shook his head, "Easy for you to say. You're not the one that has to pawn this piece of shit off. How did Jules and I get this job anyway?"

Pope shrugged as we followed him in, "'Cause you guys are the best liars."

The door dinged as JJ and I stepped through the door, JJ giving a lady a curt nod, "Afternoon ma'am."

The lady behind the counter looked at us, "Afternoon."

"I see you buy gold." JJ stated.

"That's what the sign say, don't it?"

"Well I sure hope you buy a lot of it, because I'm about to blow your mind."

"I ain't got much left to blow, so have at it."

JJ tossed his bag on the counter, pulling out the gold block, "How 'bout them gold apples?"

The lady took one glance at it before laughing, "That ain't real."

"That ain't real?"

"It can't be."

"Feel how heavy it is." I interjected, nodding down at it.

She picked it up, struggling to do so as JJ commented, "Let's get some light on that."

She grabbed a magnifying glass, flipping on a light that was connected to it, "Spray painted tungsten."

JJ shook his head, "Spray painted tungsten? Really? Okay. Why don't you see, uh, how soft it is?"

She grabbed a hammer-looking thing, "You mind?"