Episode 5. Midsummers | 22

Julianne Bailey Routledge

We finally pulled up after a decently long car ride, all of us hopping out of the car.

"Yo, uh.. so, uh, I think I'm gonna do this one by myself.. tonight." John B told us, making Kie roll her eyes. I nodded at him.

I was actually happy for him and Sarah, and although things were going to be awkward, my brother deserved the best and if he decided that, that was Sarah Cameron, then so be it. I just hoped that she wouldn't break his heart.

"Really?" JJ said, leaning next to me.

"What?"

I hit JJ's arm and he changed his mind about whatever he was going to say, "Nothin'."

John groaned, "I just don't want to spook Sarah with the peanut gallery."

"I just don't understand why we're involving her at all." Kie complained.

"Kie, we're not involving her, okay? It's just like a business meeting."

JJ made in inappropriate joke making me scrunch my nose and Pope laugh.

John B continued his tangent,  "Look, once we get what we need, we cut her loose, all right? Plus, we need the map."

I kind of felt bad for Sarah, although I know that what John B was saying wasn't true. I wouldn't put it past Kie to bring up what John B was saying in front of her, and it won't be pretty when it happens.

Kie pursed her lips, "Promise me nothing's happening between you two?"

John glanced at me for a moment, "Nothing is happening, Kie."

"I'm being serious."

"Okay."

"This isn't about you and this isn't about us. This is about her." She clarified, "Dude, she's gonna get inside your head. Just promise me nothing's happening between you guys."

"I promise."

I didn't even want to imagine the drama that's going to come when Kie finds out that something is indeed happening happening between the two of them. What Kie doesn't know yet won't hurt her, though. But you know the saying, curiosity killed the cat.

JJ cut into their argument, "That was really believable."

"A hundred percent believable." Pope chimed,

I sighed, "Guys, nothing is happening between them. He would tell me. Right, John B?" I asked, hoping that he would go with it.

"Right. Anyways, um.. I'm gonna take care of business."

JJ nodded, "You're gonna take care of that."

Pope came in too, "I tell you."

"We'll just sit here."

"In the hot ass car."

John B left, closing the door after him. Kie was staring out of the window and Pope was writing what's probably his scholarship essay. Without either of them noticing, JJ slid and arm around my waist, sliding a finger under my shorts.

I squealed, nearly jumping ten feet in the air. Pope and Kie looked over at me, confusion covering their faces.

I laughed awkwardly, "I thought there was a fly in my ear.. sorry." They turned their attention away and I glared a JJ, amusement dancing in his eyes. I couldn't help but let a cheeky grin cover my features.

Eventually, it got too hot and we had to open a door.

"Kie, why do you hate Sarah so much?" JJ asked Kie. He was poking the bear and literally asking to get bit.