Episode 4. Spy Games | 18

Julianne Bailey Routledge

We finally made it to the venue, helping Kie and Pope carry chairs.

Kie smiled as we walked into the place, "I'm so glad that they're still doing this."

I nodded, "Keep calm. Carry on. Back to the OBX life, you know?"

"Aren't you glad I made you come?" Kie asked us.

Pope groaned, "Ecstatic."

JJ nudged my shoulder, "Jules and I were pretty comfy, I'll be honest."

I scoffed, "Shut up. Yes, Kie, I'm glad we came." She grinned, leaving to grab us a soda.

Pope leaned into JJ's ear, trying to whisper, "We're out of the green zone, man."

JJ shook his head, "Dude, tranquilo, okay?"

"We're in the middle of Kooklandia. This is the last place I wanted to be."

"Shut up, Pope." JJ growled at him, setting up our chairs.

Kie came back with a confused look on her face, "Just saw Rafe, and he said, and I quote, 'Tell your boy that we know what he did.' What is that?"

I turned away and JJ stuttered, "Um..Where is he?"

Kie looked over her shoulder, "Right there."

We all turned around, Topper, Rafe, and Kelce all looking at us.

"Great, the whole death squad." I mumbled.

JJ flipped us all back towards the front, "Don't stare." He leaned into Pope, "Just warning you, bro. If they corner me, I'm coming out swinging, okay? Slice and dicin'. I'm on edge right now."

"Yeah, yeah." Pope agreed.

"If that doesn't work," JJ held up his bag, "I got this right here."

Pope nodded, Kie watching the conversation with her brows furrowed, "Yeah, yeah. So, we just gotta stay in the group. They can't come get us if we're in the group."

"Like a school of fish."

"Stay in the school. Can't leave the school."

Kie finally leaned in, "I'm sorry, JJ... Please tell me that you did not bring a gun here. JJ, there are kids!"

Really? That was all she got from that conversation? I wasn't mad about it, but, like, really?

He shook his head, "No! Kie, I didn't bring the gun. Everything's fine, okay?"

She nodded sarcastically, "Wow, thank you. That's really convincing. I love that, JJ. Founding principles, you guys. No secrets amongst Pogues. What is Rafe talking about?"

I suddenly felt guilty. Kie was right and she deserved to know what was going on, I mean, she could be in danger right now. I bit my lip, looking up at JJ, who gave me a hard look that told me not to say anything.

Pope looked at her, "Kie, it might go down tonight."

"What does that mean? 'Might go down tonight.' What did ya'll do?"

JJ glanced at Pope, whispering, "Deny, deny, deny."

Kie grabbed my arm, "Julianne, what happened?"

I shrugged, "I have no idea, and honestly, I don't know if I even want to." She sighed and the movie began.

Nearly an hour later, the boys stood up, Kie and I looking up at them.