Episode 9. The Bell Tower | 32

Julianne Bailey Routledge

We eventually found an old garage, taking refuge there. I was sitting on the floor when we heard a plan fly overhead. I stood up, quite literally watching the gold go right over our heads.

JJ kicked a chair, "There goes the gold."

"Shit!" Pope screamed, grabbing things and throwing them around. He grabbed a bat, hitting everything and anything he could. We stood in shock as we watched him.

I grabbed JJ's arm, Kie going to stop him, "Pope!"

Finally, he sat down, JJ deciding to encourage him, "Yeah, dude." I let go of him and he shrugged at me, walking over to Pope and holding out his Juul, which was filled with weed, "I was wondering when this was gonna happen. Here you go, chief. A little weed never hurt no one."

"JJ." Kie began.

"Relax, Kie."

"You know he doesn't smoke."

To our surprise, Pope grabbed the device.

"Well, maybe not until today." JJ stated, flopping down next to him.

"Pope," Kie began again, "Yeah, what is that gonna help?"

Pope looked up at us, a look of pure misery, "I lost my scholarship. Walked out in the middle of the interview. Every- it's gone. It's not gonna happen."

"You did that for us?" I asked him, feeling immense guilt.

He shook his head, "No, not for us." He stood up, "For nothing."

JJ put a hand on his shoulder, "I'm here for you, Pope. Welcome to my world, okay?"

"JJ-"

"What, Kie? He's right. It doesn't matter anymore."

Pope put the device in his mouth, breathing in the weed.

"You don't have to do that." Kie told him.

Pope puffed the smoke out, "What do you care?"

I thought for a moment, taking it out of his hand and sucking in a good amount. Unlike the alcohol I had consumed a day ago, I liked the way it felt entering my bloodstream.

JJ dropped his jaw, pointing at me, "Okay, now that, was unexpected."

I rolled my eyes at him, "Oh, hush."

Suddenly John B appeared, all of us running over to him.

"Dude! Dude, you good?"

"Oh, my god! John B!"

JJ grabbed his hand, which was stained red, "Is this yours?"

I looked closer at it, my eyes snapping to his, "Whose blood is that?"

"Hey, you okay, man?"

Police sirens grew closer, a car coming into vision. We dropped down, getting out of it's sight.

"John B, what are we doing at the police station?" I asked my brother as we parked in front of the station. We had taken Kie's car, John B explaining to us what all had happened.

"Somebody's gotta tell 'em what happened."

Pope began coughing, the half smoked blunt taking a toll on him.

JJ patted his shoulder, "Easy there, chief. Damn."

I wasn't going to lie, I had taken a few hits. Let me tell you, I've definitely been missing out. I wasn't loopy or anything, but I wasn't overthinking as much as I usually did.