Episode 1. Pilot | 7

Julianne Bailey Routledge

Kiara was softly tapping the bongos, while JJ was throwing rocks. The wind blew my hair around, creating unwanted knots.

John B stopped pacing, "I'm callin' it off. All right?" Everyone looked at him like he grew an extra arm.

I sighed, "Peterkin said, if we stay out of the marsh, she'll help us with DCS."

"And you believed her?"

I sighed, "Yes, I believe her, JJ."

He shook his head, "An actual cop, Julianne. You believed a cop?"

I stood up, "All we gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days, and she'll help us out."

John B butted into our argument, "It doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting the gun."

"You know what I should've done?" JJ started, "Just let topper drown your ass."

I clamped my mouth shut, looking away.

John B continued, "Topper was gonna drown me?"

JJ stood up, "Sure looked like it."

"Funny."

"Have you looked in the mirror?" JJ questioned.

John B kept pushing him, "Tell me some more. Come on."

"They always win, don't they, man?" JJ said, "Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win!" He hit a coconut, "Goddamn!"

I flinched, Kie speaking up, "Look, it's okay!"

JJ shook his head, "No, it's not okay! It is not! They don't want us to go down in the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it." He pointed at John B, "I know you do."

JJ looked down at Pope, "And I understand why you don't wanna go. You're the golden boy. You got way too much to risk. And you-" He looked to Kie, "I mean, you're already rich as fuck anyway. Why would you bother?"

He looked at me and John B, "But us three? We got nothin' to lose! We really don't. All right?"

I sighed, "JJ.."

He kept going, "And I know it didn't use to be that way for you guys."

"I don't want to talk about this."John B said, walking past JJ, hitting his shoulder. "I don't want to talk about it."

JJ sighed, "So that's it?"

John B tried to go past him again, "Just get out of my way, bro."

"John B, listen to me. I have a plan." John B turned around, "You got the key to Cameron's big boat, right? There's scuba gear inside, man. We just borrow that, and then we go down to The Wreck this afternoon, and that is what's gonna save you guys, man. You don't see rich kids going into foster care, do you?"

As much as I hated to admit it, JJ had a point. Rich kids didn't go into foster care, but kids like John B and I did, and neither of us wanted that.

So there John B went, taking off in the HMS Pogue to go steal gear from his boss, leaving the four of us here.

"JJ, I swear to god if we get caught in the marsh, I am going to personally kill you." I threatened.

He put his hands up, "Chill, Jules. We'll be fine."

I rolled my eyes, standing up, "I'm going in. Tell me when we're leaving."

I made my way into the house, flopping onto my bed. Before I could even count to ten, I was asleep.