Dad Knows Something

Ingrid's POV

Ingrid's POV

Hiccup and I sat in the Blacksmith's shop bored out of our minds. Hiccup was rolling his pencil while I was tapping my fingers. We heard footsteps coming closer to us. We looked up thinking it was Gobber. But it was Dad! "Dad! You're back!" we exclaimed scrambling to stand up. I pushed the paper that had Toothless's tail on them out of his sight. "Gobber's not here so," Hiccup said.

"I know," Dad squeezed himself inside, "I came looking for you."

"You did?" Hiccup asked confused.

"You two have been keeping secrets," Dad stated.

"I... uh... what? What are you talking about? We have?" I chuckled nervously.

"Just how long did you two think you could hide it from me?" Dad asked sternly. Oh gods, does he know?

"We...We... We don't know what you are... ."

"Nothing happens on this island without me hearing about it."

"Who?"

"So, let's talk about that dragon." Oh no, he does know. How did he find out? Did someone see us? Hiccup and I looked at each other nervously. The two of us didn't know what to say. Hiccup swallowed hard and ran his hand through his hair. "Oh, gods. Dad, we are so sorry. We're going to tell you. We just didn't know how," Hiccup explained.

"Just let us explain to you. Please don't be upset at us," I said almost tearing up. Suddenly Dad started laughing. Then we started laughing a little with him. Okay, that the reaction we were expecting. "Hehe, why are we laughing? Why are you laughing?" I asked.

"You're...You're not upset?" Hiccup asked treading carefully. Maybe he's laughing in disbelief and hysteria; it happens. "What?! I was hoping for this," Dad exclaimed.

"Uh, you were?" Hiccup and I said confused. He was hoping his kids were friends with dragons. But he hates more than anyone on this island.

"And believe me it only gets better! Just wait till you spill a Nadder's guts for the first time, and mount your first Gronkle head on a spear! What a feeling!" Dad hit us hard enough to make us sit back on the chairs. Wow, that was a huge sigh of relief. He doesn't know about Toothless and Nightlily. I thank you, Odin and Thor. "You really had me going there, kids! All those years of the worst Vikings Berk have ever seen. Odin, it was rough. I almost gave up on you, and all the while you were holding out on me. All Thor Almighty. Oh, with you doing so well in the ring, we finally have something to talk about," Dad pulled a chair and sat down. He stared at us eagerly waiting for us to say something.

Wow, this is the first time Dad wanted to have an actual talk with him. But we didn't say anything. We just stood there awkwardly not knowing what to say. And also recovering from the scare that Dad gave us earlier. "Oh. Oh, yeah. I brought you something. To keep you two safe in the ring," Dad said pulling out two helmets and handed them to us.

"Wow, thanks," We said. Your mother would've wanted you two to have it. It's her breastplates," Dad informed us. We retracted our hands from the helmets when we heard this. "Matching set. Keeps her... Keeps her close, you know. Wear them proudly. You deserve it. You held up your end of the deal."

We put the helmets on the desk. I think this is the first time in years Dad talked about Mom. He never really told much about her. All we know is that she died because of a dragon raid. I know that her death left a big hole in his heart that could never be replaced. He once told us that she was the love of his life and didn't want another wife.

We faked a yawn, "We should really get to bed," Hiccup said.

"Yes. Okay. Good talk," Dad responded.

"Yeah, we'll see you back at the house. Thank you for stopping by and the helmets," I stated.

"Yes, the breast hats," Hiccup said.

"Yeah, well uh, good night," Dad said as he left. We slumped over the desk and took in a huge sigh.

"That was scary," I commented.

"Yeah," Hiccup said.