Why Are We Still Here

Hiccup's POV

Hiccup's POV

A few days passed and I was back in the arena along with Astrid and the Gronckle. Ingrid was sitting on the sidelines watching me along with Dad. After the weird talk with Dad, Ingrid was too anxious to go back into the arena. She faked being sick just so she didn't have to 'fight' today. I tried to fake being sick too, but she was more convincing than I was. She's a better actor than I am. That's why she sitting on the sidelines. But, thankfully, she gave me a handful of dragon nip, which we decided to call it, before the match. She told me which spot I should scratch on the Gronckle just in case. Sometimes, I thank the gods for blessing me with a twin sister.

Anyway, I was behind a little wall that was concealing me from the Gronckle. Astrid came up next to me and hid with me. I was about to get up to move to another spot, but she pulled my shield down.

"Stop out of my way! I'm winning this thing," Astrid warned getting in my face. Then ran off to another fence.

"Good. Please, by all means," Hiccup said. I stood from behind the little fence and looked up at my father. He was standing behind the chain cage with the village elder, Gothi, Gobber, and Ingrid. I gave my father a sort of confident smile while I was actually dying inside. I looked at my sister and waved my ax at her to tell her I was fine; she nodded her head.

I turned around and saw that the Gronckle was slowly coming towards me. I went to hide behind a small wall that was out of eyesight from everyone. I dropped everything and pulled the dragon nip out of my pocket. I held it up to the Gronckle's nose and it fell to the ground to smell. I also scratched the spot that Ingrid told me about and the Gronckle was out completely. I heard Astrid's war cries coming closer to me then stopped when she saw the site.

I panicked a little and gestured the ax towards the Gronckle.

"No!" Astrid shouted stomp her foot. Then she swung her ax around while cursing at me. Someone was banging on the bars of the cage while my father was silencing everyone. I was about to walk out of the arena.

"So, later," Hiccup said but Gobber grabbed my vest. "Not so fast!"

"Ingrid and I are kind of late for," before I could finish, Astrid brought her ax up to my neck.

"What!? Late for what exactly!?" Astrid growled.

"Okay, quite it down! The elder has decided," dad announced. I turned to face Gothi and Gobber pointed at Astrid; Gothi shook her head. Gobber pointed at me and squeezed my eyes shut hoping she doesn't choose me. Then I heard loud cheering from the crowd which made me wince. Astrid started glaring at me with pure hatred. If looks could kill, I would be six feet under.

"You've done it! You've done it, Hiccup! You get to kill the dragon!" Gobber cheered with his hook around my shoulder. The other teenagers surrounded me and Fishlegs while they cheered for me.

"That's my boy!" Dad applauded; Ingrid looked even more anxious.

"Yeah! Yes! I can't wait," I said enthusiastically, "I am so...".