Final Test

☙☄☙

                                                                                       ☙☄☙

Ingrid's POV

Today was the day of Hiccup's final test. To see if he'll finally become a Viking. I was next to him with my hand resting on his shoulders as he held his helmet under his arm. I rubbed my wrist nervously and Hiccup began biting the skin on his thumb as the crowd chanted his name. Dad calmed the crowd and began his speech,

"If someone had told me that in a few short weeks, Hiccup and Ingrid would go from, well, being...uh, them to placing first and second in dragon training, I'd have tied them to a mast and shipped them off for fear they'd gone mad!" Dad hollered, the crowd cheering, "And you know it!"

Um, ouch.

"But here we are. And no one is more surprised or more proud than I am. Today, my boy becomes a Viking. Today, he becomes one of us!" Dad announced. The crowd cheered once again as a pain in my chest and stomach grew from guilt. Hiccup and I looked at each other nervously when a familiar voice spoke.

"Be careful with that dragon," Astrid reassures him.

"It's not the dragon I'm worried about," Hiccup answered not taking his eyes off of dad.

"What are you going to do?" she asked.

"Put an end to this. I have to try."

"How?" I asked.

"Astrid, Ingrid, if something goes wrong, just make sure they don't find Toothless and Night Lily," he said.

"We will. Just promise me that it won't and don't die," I pleaded.

Before Hiccup could answer, Gobber came up, "It's time, Hiccup. Knock 'em dead."

Hiccup put on his helmet and walked into the arena. No! Don't walk away! You have to promise me you won't die or do anything stupid, idiot! You have!

Gobber closed the gate and walked up next to dad. I started biting my nail as Hiccup grabbed a shield and a small dagger. Astrid walked up closer to the gate, "Why didn't he grab a better weapon?"

"He doesn't want to hurt it, that's why," I answered.

Hiccup breathed in deeply, "I'm ready."

The lock to the Monstrous Nightmare began to slide upwards The doors burst open with the dragon already on fire. It began roaring agitated by the crowd. The dragon jumped to the wall, crawling along the walls. Then it spits fire towards the crowd making them move clear of the flames. It crawled on the cage ceiling as the fire around it went out. I bit my thumbnail harder as my heart began to race.