Prologue

[Listen to the song the whole way through <3]

It was a nice day out.

The breeze felt new, fresh, and crisp. Then again it was the morning, but today just felt different. It was calm, like gentle waves on a beach at sunset. 

The birds were just waking up, their gentle, sweet, harmonies filled the air. Complimenting the breeze as they fluttered along. It was nice.

Your eyes were closed as they had gotten sensitive over the years. Though after hearing someone walk out from the front door and sit beside you, you managed to open them, just a little bit.

You wanted to see the man you loved.

The man who saved you and treated you like no one else has.

The way his amber eyes still shown brightly, every time he looked at you. He never regretted it, loving you, that is. He'd always reassure you that he did, whether it be through touch or words, he never ran out of things to say and do.

His brown hair, tame, but flew through the air with such grace, it thought to be fake. You always loved braiding it, he'd let you too. You two would have such the sweetest interactions then. He wouldn't hold this shield up that protected him, instead, he held a smile and giggles.

His hand gently rested under yours, his thumb playing with yours. Soon bringing your hand to meet his lips. And still, he managed to make your heart flutter. You remember the first time he kissed your hand. It was on a terrace in Liyue as you were watching the lanterns fill the sky. You had just released yours and he came up next to you. He introduced himself, bowing to you as he took a gentle hold on your hand and kissed it.

It was soft, gentle as can be. Like the soft petals on a Qingxin flower. You adored the times he went out and got you them, you often told him no because of the trek, but he insisted. And every time, he brought back the most beautiful bouquet. In fact, he retrieved some yesterday. They were sitting beside you, on the left.

Your eyes trailed from his hand to his face, once they met his, you melted. His eyes were so warm and welcoming to you, so comforting. His warmth was something that never faded, it was always there... Even if he wasn't. His presence was enough to make you warm, the pictures you two had together throughout the years were incredible. In fact, he insisted that you hung every single one up.

You smiled softly up at him, and he smiled back. Placing a hand behind your head gently and leaning in to kiss your forehead. 

The feeling lasted, forever it seemed, and it was nice.

He let you lean on him, your eyes were getting heavy as you watched the sunrise. 

The last feeling you felt was his kiss and the gentleness of his thumb over your hand. 

The last thing you heard was his quiet "I love you."

The last thing you saw, was the warm feeling of the sun rising, to a brand new day.

~~~~~~~

.

[This book is inspired by @bakugosbird ]

[They have a playlist out on Spotify called "growing old with zhongli" ]

[Their user is jett and should have Aether as the profile pic]

[I'm actually going to keep up with this one hehe, don't worry.]

Love ya, <3