Chapter 18

[So pain, right? Did you want it? To bad take it >:3 Play the song at the *** Archon quest spoilers]

You were outside, soaking wet from the rain. The gentle droplets had hit your face and clothing as you watched the storm clouds form over the harbor. The wind was harsh against you, unlike the usual gentle breeze.

Whipping your hair here and there before repeating that same motion. Why were you outside? Simple.

Zhongli wasn't home. Especially in a storm like this, he should surely be on his way home right? You didn't mind the rain, you actually enjoyed the fresh scent it gave you afterward. But this was just harsh. The wind just felt like little tiny paper cuts on your skin.

You frowned, you've been out there for half an hour, it was raining for 15. Your heart swelled, worry filling your gut. Yes, he was an archon, but that didn't stop you from worrying.

Wait.

Archon.

"Rex Lapis died yesterday," Zhongli said taking his gloves off and washing his hands as you sat on the sofa, reading a book. You thought nothing of it. The archon who had died.

Your eyes widened. 

The archon was very much alive. But, why would he say that? Your heart thumped as new questions filled your head and adrenaline pumped through your veins. 

Boy was he getting an earful from you when he got home...

You waited and waited, your eyes going back to the harbor as you saw something appear. 

Osial.

Your grandma had told you story after story about the god. How he was defeated by Rex Lapis. The stories were passed down, to the point they sounded like fictional pieces of a book. But they weren't fake. They were very much real.

You watched the creature as it fought against the Jade Chamber, at least that's what you thought it was. From the distance, it was hard to see.

You watched, leaning on the fence and rubbing your eyes free of the raindrops. They were so gentle compared to the wind. Like gentle little kisses given to you by those you loved. While the wind was from those that you had disappointed.

Seeing the Jade Chamber suddenly drop, losing its ability to stay afloat your heart skipped a beat. What happened- Surely everyone I alright... Right?

You didn't know who was on the Jade Chamber, though you hoped they weren't injured.

Your heartbeat, the rain fell, and the wind blew.

Once the chamber hit the water an explosion occurred. causing the wind to be harsher than before but it wasn't like before. It was like a breeze that reassured you, it wasn't sharp but rather gentle.

Your eyes opened, the sky stayed cloudy, but had calmed.

It still rained and now all you were waiting for was Zhongli.

Why?

Why was he taking so long?

***

You waited, your clothes soaked and heavy. Hands cold, face flushed trying to keep its warmth. "Where..." You whispered quietly, your heart shattering as you waited. Tapping your fingers along the rail.

It had to of be an hour and a half of you worrying and waiting as the rain poured overhead, then you saw a silhouette walking down the path.

"Fucking hell." You say as you held back tears of relief. Carefully running down the trail, you make it to the bottom and run to him. You knew it was him, no doubt. The shoulders, the jacket, the glowing geo "vision".

The mist cleared up as you got closer, Zhongli lifted his head and saw you, but instead of jumping into his arms, you slowed down.

You frowned as you stopped. You knew something was up, his presence was different. He continued walking as you stayed put. "What did you do...?" You said quietly, looking at him as he got closer.

"What do you mean?" He said perplexed. "Your... Your presence... It's different than before. It was more firm, sturdy, secure..." You trail as tears threatened to escape. Surely, he would've told you he'd done something... Right?

He tensed up and stopped walking. Only three feet away from you. "You... You feel more fragile, more... More delicate." You said quietly, eyeing your lover in front of you. "What did you do Zhongli?"

He was silent, before speaking, "I simply made a contract. That's it." He said firmly, however you didn't feel the firmness in his words. It was like he was faking it. Faking everything that was happening at that moment.

All was silent, the rain hit puddles nearby and the dirt road. You looked at him, "What was it of, Zhongli. Please tell me." You say quietly, your eyes pleading for an answer. His amber eyes meeting yours, causing you to take an intake of breath. "Please..." You said, your chest tightening as he took a step closer.

It didn't feel right, none of this did.

"I can't. I just can't tell you, love-"

"Why!?" You yelled as tears escaped, "You stay out during that storm, then afterward for another hour or so?! And you expect me to ignore that! I was worried sick for you Zhongli!" You continued, your hand gripping your chest as he let out a sigh.

"I... I felt like something bad had happened. Apparently, I was correct because you can't seem to tell me what's wrong." You said quietly shaking your head as he stepped closer.

He was silent, embracing your cold shivering body as he held you close. "Love, you know I love you and I would do anything to keep you safe. To have a peaceful life with you. I will tell you this, that was my last contract. I promise love I won't be making any more." He said quietly, he hated that you stayed out here, he hated that you were a crying, shivering mess because of him. 

But he hated that he couldn't tell you anything. Your hands tightened, gripping his jacket as you didn't want to let go. Afraid that he would leave and never come back. "Fine... But please don't stay out that long without some kind of warning..." You say quietly as he chuckled. "Me? Honey, I should be saying the same about you." He says running his hands through your hair.

You moved back and punched his chest, he tensed and nodded. "I know, I know. I deserved that. Just know though, love, that I did it for us. For the future, we'll have." He said quietly pulling you back into his chest as he rested his head on yours.

"But good things don't last forever..." You said quietly, as his eyes closed, knowing fully well for what the future had prepared.

[Well Well Well. May of cried making this. Totally didn't I'm just bluffin' Love you!!]