Chapter 4

[TW: Death, Listen to the song at the  ***]

The house was quiet.

The birds didn't sing like they did every morning.

Maybe it was because of what happened, the death.

Your eyes scanned over the landscape. You had finished the funeral and were having time to yourself. You needed it.

You watched as the birds flew silently overhead like they were giving silent prayers. Mourning with you. Zhongli was there as well, after all, he and Hu Tao were the ones that had helped.

It was a small service, as your grandmother had friends who came. Otherwise, that was it. You didn't have anyone close. At least, that's what you always thought.

Your grandmother was a lovely person. She took you in at the age of 5, your older siblings and parents left for Inazuma. For what they say... A business trip. They never came back. 

***

Your grandmother lived an exciting life when she was younger. Falling in love with a man who passed, due to protecting children from a ruin hunter. In the end, it was worth it. He protected the children, who were now in their 50's. 

Your grandmother was a widow since then. Never getting married as she already had her life set in stone. She visited him every day until the trip was too long. 

She baked the best desserts, her cookies were the best, however. Every time she had the ingredients she'd let you help. Mixing the dough and making sure you were away from the oven when she put them in. They always turned out delicious, sometimes you'd make some for the nearby village. The kid's faces just lit up with joy, thanking the woman known as your grandmother.

Often times when it rain she would dance outside when she was still full of energy. When she became the age of 75, she often watched you dance in the rain with the little kids in the village. She saw how much you liked children, how much you liked having fun. Some were just like you, with only a grandparent to look up to. She'd often smile and send you a wave whenever you looked over at them.

At the age of 80 was when she started going downhill. Her back was getting sore, her legs sometimes would give out, so she resorted to staying indoors. You would run errands for her, cook, clean, and all the other stuff. But you didn't mind. In fact, you were happy you could help her. She raised you from the age of 5 to the age of 26. 

In the end, she passed away at the age of 86.

These memories seemed to seal that aching heart of yours. Your 

Your dress flowed gently at your knees. The breeze tickled as you looked out and onto the landscape once more. It was nice.

Zhongli had been watching you the entire time, mainly because you were close to the railing, and he didn't want you getting any rash ideas. But he saw your body language change. You were slightly more... Alive.

He spoke to Hu Tao, telling her that he would follow her soon after, and she left.

He walked up beside you, keeping quiet as to not bother the comfortable silence you had. But you decided against that.

"Thank you, Zhongli. I really mean it." You say, continuing to look forward. He turned his head slightly to look at you. Your head soon turning as well,  a soft smile of assurance was planted there. That you've accepted her passing and you weren't in denial. Which was a good thing for him, as most people would cling to him afterwards to the point he'd have to pry them off when he had to leave.

"You're welcome. Just know that you are not alone in this." He said, turning his head to look back out at the vast land. 

You soon followed him and looked back out at the world that was untouched. Finding peace in the birds that quietly started to sing and the breeze that gently stroked your face.

[AHHHH heart go crack <3]