Chapter 41

Chapter 41

"dad?" Crow raised an eyebrow and turned to Aldrich. Crow had his arms folded and was looking slightly smug. He had his suspicions about Sawyer a long time ago, never really bothering to put excess thought into it. "That explains so much, yet it leaves me with more questions."

"Ah well Crow. You're eighteen now . surely your mothers taught you where babies came from? If not your GCSE biology class." It was clear to them all that Aldrich was nervous and trying to avoid answering Crow's inquiry. Yet it seemed Aldrich did this often, he knew exactly what to say in order to rile someone up or to tease them. He was very charismatic and found joy in the suffering of those around him, at least the social and emotional suffering.

"Oh trust me I know that stuff...which makes it even more questionable about how you're Sawyer's father." Crow said blankly as he looked between the two. Noah was just sitting there confused. He had heard the name Sawyer before, he assumed that Crow had told him about the boy once. He had some interest in the idea that Aldrich was the boy's father, they seemed like they would be two of the last people who you would connect together or associate with each other.

"Well then if you know that then surely you could understand how i'm his father. One night his mother and I-" Aldrich was going to explain in a lot of detail how it was possible, everyone knew it. His following words would cause so much awkwardness, embarrassment and ,in Aldrich's case, amusement. Aldrich had a big smirk on his face as his son interrupted him.

"Dad! Nobody wants to hear that." Sawyer's face was red as he was still clutching his books. He hadn't seemed to move from the moment he realized he made the mistake of speaking without checking to see if anyone else was around. His plans had been crushed under foot and thrown out of the window because he wasn't careful. His father hadn't been there for very long and he wasn't at all used to it. Sawyer felt like his own space had been invaded somehow. School was his place of normal.

"I'm just teasing you! Come on, I never get to do this." Aldrich smiled and gestured towards the two men. "You never bring friends home...what else am I supposed to do?" Aldrich was very much enjoying the misery which appeared on his son's face. It was a rare sight and occasion which may never happen again, Aldrich was taking advantage of it whilst it lasted.

"Be normal?" Sawyer said quietly as he looked towards Crow and Noah apologetically. He knew that Crow was not stupid. Crow had figured out that Sawyer didn't just stumble across him killing Noah, he knew there was something more to the situation.

"I feel like the normal boat for your father has long since sailed, and then sank to the bottom of the ocean" Noah tried to make Sawyer feel better. Aldrich had sent him a disapproving look and was about to say something but Sawyer's laughter cut him off. Aldrich looked at his son in surprise, it was one of the first times he had seen Sawyer laugh in public, his son was often too shy.

"Sorry but that was good. I like that." Sawyer nodded with a smile as he moved away from his father slightly in order to face him fully. "Anyway, I just wanted to know if you were going to be giving me a ride home tonight?" It was odd to watch such a regular conversation between the younger boy and the vampire. "I could always just stay in the library." Sawyer shrugged slightly.

"Oh actually that's not a bad idea, though we could all meet up after school in the ...no this classroom." He'd looked towards the two who were still sitting down, they did not seem impressed as they knew they were involved in the 'we'. "Some of us have questions which need to be answered because their parents didn't explain stuff to them and they didn't pay attention in biology."

"Oh won't' you let that go?" Sawyer tilted his head backwards and looked at his dad pleadingly. "You don't have to go into that much detail." He then turned to the two boys. "Sorry 'bout him. He likes to tease people a lot...usually ends up with everyone embarrassed"

"I beg your pardon. I don't get embarrassed." Aldrich placed his hand on his heart. "I find much joy in the teasing and the results." He gave a happy grin, which in itself seemed to embarrass Sawyer even more as the boy let out a slight huff.

"So library after school?" Crow asked cooly. He was hoping that moving the topic along would let them exit the room quicker. Both him and Noah were getting ready to leap out of the door. Aldrich didn't get the chance to nod even ocne before the two of them had left the classroom hastily.

"No need to run!" Aldrich exclaimed as he watched the two boys with annoyance. He turned to his son who had rosy red cheeks. "So I suppose you got the answer you were after kiddo?" Sawyer nodded with a sigh before he chuckled and shook his head.

"Yup. Though dad please try and keep the embarrassing and teasing comments until , i don't know, i actually have friends?" His arms fell to his sides, he still clutched the book in his right hand. "I know that they're not exactly the type of friends you want me to have but-"

Aldrich raised a hand which caused his son to stop talking midsentnace. "Sawyer, I have no problems with you making friends with Noah and Crow. I just want you to remember what you want. I don't want yout o get hurt."

It was a mutual understanding between the two of them. Aldrich didn't want Sawyer's emotions and feelings to get the better of him. Aldrich knew all too well what that was like and he didn't want his son to experience the same pain he had gone through. He loved Sawyer, with all his lifeless heart. That's why he'd always be there to pull him back if Sawyer made a choice which went against what he wanted to do.

"I promise I'll be careful, I won't get too attached"