forty-three

"You gone tell me what you did when you left the state for three days and cut off all communications?" He asked

"I went back to Memphis to clear my head and for the first time I visited my father in jail. That's why I was at the hospital because when he called me I had a panic attack." I said.

"You could've just told me that instead of hanging up in my face." He said.

"I didn't feel like arguing and I felt like that's where the conversation was leading to." I said.

"Cause it sounded like you had an attitude when I was tryna make sure you was good." He said.

"I'm sorry, I was just stressed out, I wasn't trying to push you away." I said.

"You good, how the talk go?" He asked.

"I got the answers I was looking for it is what it is now. Oh and something happened when I went to my momma's grave." I said.

"What happened?" He asked.

"Serayah can see and talk to her- on God?" He asked.

"I'm for real, she said she was playing with her and talking to her and then she was telling me what she saying. I knew I could believe it because she called her a nickname that only me and my sister know of." I said.

"So you telling me our daughter can see spirits, like I know babies and animals can sense them but she can actually interact with them?" He asked.

"I think my mom is the only spirit she's come in contact with, I don't know for sure because I never asked." I shrugged and I could tell he was in deep thought.

"You don't believe it do you?" I asked.

"I do believe it, she just two and I know she don't even understand what she can do so I don't think she would just make it up." He said.

"So are you gone tell me when your actual court date is?" I asked.

"The day after we come back from Florida." He said.

"What you think gone happen?" I asked.

"I honestly don't know, it's a slight chance they'll let the case go and it's a chance that I get locked up. I can be away for up to 15 years." He stated and I looked up at not believing what I was hearing.

"I thought they charged you with just drug possession?" I asked.

"They did but my lawyer said that now they saying I'm an accessory to a murder crime or some shit." He mumbled.

"Why you didn't say nothing?" My voice cracked.

"I didn't know how." He said.

"You can basically miss out on her growing up, how I'm supposed to do this without you. You know how many times she asked where you was at and why you were gone when you first got locked up?" I said beginning to cry.

I know I can take care of her on my own, but it's just Serayah is going to go from seeing him whenever she wants to almost never seeing him and interacting with him like she always does.

"Stop crying." He said as came over to sit beside me as he put his arm around me.

"How you gone tell me not cry do you not know how fucking long that is." I said. What murder they talking about?" I asked.

"That's the thing, I had nothing to do with that murder, I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time and since they already know my record they tryna make a connection that's not there." He said.

"On my life I ain't have shit to do wit' that." He said.

"Every time something is going good, something bad has to always happen." I wiped my tears.

"I got y'all, I told you that." He said.

He stayed over until Serayah woke up so they could spend some time together. Time was flying by, I guess it was because we was actually having a good time.

As he was finna go, he picked up Serayah and gave her a hug before she ran in her room picking out her pajamas.

"See you later." I said holding out my arms for a hug.

"Now you want a hug, go back to be to being anti." He said wrapping his arms around me and we stayed like that longer than I expected.

"Can you promise me something?" I asked as we were still hugging.

"What?"

"If they let you go, promise me you won't live that lifestyle." I said.

"It don't work like that." He mumbled.

"Avontae." I said.

"I'm serious, it ain't that easy. Me walking away can end in a consequence." He said.

"Can you just promise to be more careful then and stay out the way?" I asked.

"I promise." He mumbled.
____________________________________

These ignorant ass comments not gone cut it at all neither is the disrespectful shit with going against what I asked

These ignorant ass comments not gone cut it at all neither is the disrespectful shit with going against what I asked. (If yk you ain't do something like this ignore this🧍🏽‍♀️💜)

And I'm not talking about the comments with different opinions or statements I love reading those comments and seeing what y'all agree and don't agree with.