Chapter 5: Aria

Maeve:

Maeve:

I enter the great hall and I notice the tables are almost empty, except for a few students.

I sit in my usual spot, fill my cup with water and drink it all in one. I fill my plate with fruit and eggs and start munching, glad no one is around to see me scoff my food. The headache from last taking control of me.

Draco enters the hall moments later and glances at me with an impassive stare. He sits at the far end of the table to where two seventh years were already sitting. I ignore him. Last night was a dare. That's it. I try to clear my head from the images of his hands grabbing my shirt, sucking on my neck. The thought of how close we were last night makes me shiver and as I look up I see Aria sitting down next to me. Her face is a mess.

"Looking fresh Aria" I joke.

"Oh shut up. My head is banging" she retorts.

"Same here sis" I say as I take a gulp of water.

"So what happened last night after me and Isy left?" she asks.

I choke. I literally choke on my water.

"N-nothing. Why?" I say, trying to sound indifferent. She looks at me in with her eyebrows raised smirking at my reaction to her question.

"Sorry, I choked" I try to save myself.

"It's fine. Do you wanna chill by the lake today? Get some fresh air, I think I need that after last night" she says lazily.

I wait as she finishes her breakfast, resting my face on my hands, elbows on the table. I look over at Draco. I am conscious of my staring but if Aria looked at me now she would probably think I am staring into nothing, as Draco and more Slytherins are now seated on the side of the table.

-

Aria and I walk towards the main entrance and towards the lake clearing. The chill September air crisp as the big clock chimes 9:00 am. We find a quiet spot next to the lake, we lie down and close our eyes. After a few minutes I speak.

"How bad was it dealing with Isy last night? Sorry I left you alone with her, we left right after you but when I came in the room you were both passed out."

"Oh no it was fine. She was pretty gone by the time we reached her bed" She says, her eyes still closed.

Aria has been my best friend since the first week of third year. We met in a bathroom, I was crying. I was such a child back then. I was crying because I was scared. The escape of Sirus Black would taunt me. I took it so seriously. She consoled me and admitted she was also scared.

Aria, unlike the rest of the group, is half blood, coming from a comfortable working class family. Her mother is a muggle, her father a wizard. They owned land in the countryside where they lived in a cottage.