Chapter 33: Honeyed

Maeve:

I feel my heart in my throat, my insides burning with the memories of this room, I think of the last time I was here and quiver.

I watch him as he closes the door and locks us both in. He doesn't make a sound. I am sweating. It's silent in here.

I watch him turn to the door, one hand rested on it, the other raising his wand.

"Muffilato"

I look at his hands, silver rings on his fingers. He avoids my gaze as he walks up to his desk to rest his wand.

His back is turned to me again, he's facing the desk, both hands on it, head bowed down.

A second of silent.

"What do you think you are doing?" He turns abruptly and speaks with anger.

I startle and take a step back.

"I can ask you the same question" I respond in equal anger.

"I was not the one trying to break into the headmaster's office. Are you out of your mind?" He bellows.

It takes me a second to gather confidence but I am boiling inside.

I glare at him. I am angry now.

"You decided to end things weeks ago. You've left me in the darkness without so much as an explanation. You play around with me like that. And you expect me now to justify myself to you?" I shout back.

I regain my breath and charge again, taking a step closer to him

"I thought you said you were done with me."

"Maeve" He tries to calm me down.

"No, honestly—" I start again.

"Maeve!" He raises his voice louder than mine. I stop. He takes a step closer.

"Do you think I want this?" His eyes are widening with fury.

"Things are a lot worse than you think"

"You think I am so naive, don't you? You think I know nothing."

I am so sick of this. I am sick of him treating me like a child in all this.

"You don't" He raises his voice again.

His chest rising and falling. I take a step back.

"Well you are wrong" I finish, my voice calmer.

"What were you doing tonight?" He looks at me, lost for patience.

"Maybe you are the one who doesn't know anything" I spit.

"Tell me" He insists.

"Tell me" he repeats more impatiently when I ignore him.

I scoff

"I— I have something to do" I stutter.

"What do you mean?" He looks at me dead in the eyes.

"I need to get something" I look down.

I don't know how far I can go. He's the only person I am telling this to, but I feel safe about it.

His eyes turn to worry. He steps even closer, he's only a few steps away from me now.

"What? What kind of thing?" He asks

I turn away, regretting my confession all of a sudden. I hear him walk closer. He grabs my wrist and spins me around forcefully.