Chapter 50: Quiet after the storm

Maeve:

I wake hours later from the noises coming from downstairs. I open my eyes, rubbing them to see better, allowing the light peering through the curtains. I raise my head to look at Draco. His breathing is slow, his eyelids relaxed over his eyes. My head rested in the bend of his shoulder, my arm over his body.

We fell asleep into each other's arms, peaceful after a devilish hell.

My scars sore, I move silently to pull the cover over us. I close my eyes again, letting this moment sink into me. My heart and lungs expanding at my awakening.

I feel his legs move, his arm tightening around me, reaching the back of my head, his fingers running in my hair.

I hear birds chirping outside the window, and from the weak streak of sunshine reflected on the floor I assume it's early morning.

I feel his body tighten into a stretch, then moving to his side, his other hand around me nudging me closer. My scars still stinging but I don't care about the pain. This is what I need.

His lips rest on the top of my head.

"Good morning" his deep voice breaking into a whisper.

I close my eyes and let him hold me.

"Good morning" I mumble.

"How are you feeling?"

"Perfect" I pull him closer as I speak. I don't want to wake up yet.

He smiles.

"You need to eat something, I'll get you some food" He detaches himself from my grip, letting my arms off of him.

"No, stay."

He chuckles.

"I'm gonna be back"

I look at him pleadingly. I grunt as he stands. He walks to the dresser, pulls on a sweater and turns back to me before leaving the room.

As he closes the door behind him I pull the blankets from me, raise my t-shirt and look down to my stomach. My neck still stiff from my long sleep, only allowing to see the lower part.

The white bandages are clean. I try to stand, my body still weakened but I manage to walk up to the mirror. I raise my shirt and slowly remove the gauze.

The sight makes me wince. The cuts are still visible allover my front, now turned to white scars, the edges are  starting to fade. But Dittany can only do so much. The largest cut across my stomach is still bruised. The marks will remain.

Draco:

I take a deep breath before making my way down the stairs, to the living room. I can hear hushed voices, I can make out Aria's and Blaise's voices being the most prominent ones.

As my steps grow louder and more decisive, the voices stop.

I appear in the open space living room and stare at the scene, them staring back at me. Isy sitting on the couch with a book on her lap. Her head turns subtly.

Blaise and Aria are like statues, standing by the window, frozen in their pose, their bodies turned towards me. Nott, sitting on a stool, elbows on the kitchen isle counter, head just lifted from his hands. I stop for a moment, not knowing what to do. The quiet after the storm. Everyone aware, finally realising the darkness of our secrecy.

Aria turns her eyes to Blaise before walking up to me. I wait for her to get closer, to speak, break the piercing silence.

"How is she?" She brings her hand to her mouth, nervously biting at her nails.