Chapter 20: Two coins

Maeve:

Potions finished earlier than what I wanted it to. I am nervous to see him. I know that seeing him alone will move something to me.

I stay seated as everyone leaves. I try to slow the time by asking Slughorn a question regarding the lesson we just had. Five minutes later I am forced to leave. I turn right out of potions, directed to the first corridor to the dungeons.

I walk fast, I am tempted to turn to the dorms and forget about all this. But I stop and look around. No one is there as I left later than everyone.

I take an other step and after a second hesitancy, I start walking determinately. I turn the second corner, on the corridor that leads to the classroom. I slow down. I'm almost there. I take a deep breath and stop in front of it hoping to not look like the same way I felt.

A hand on my upper back startles me. Someone I pushing me from behind. I stop myself and turn.

I take a step back and move away from him. I can't have him touch me. I walk closer to the door. Him following me. I check the corridor again and enter.

"What?" I whisper angrily.

"Maeve I don't have time. I can't be here. I needed to speak to you" He looks at me seriously.

"Draco wh-" I mutter confused.

"Listen. You need to be careful. I beg you don't do anything stupid this break" He's begging?

I look at him in question.

"They are coming for all of us. My parents already are. You know the truth, the one no one ever tells you."

"Dra-" I try to call

"No! listen" He says a little louder.

He closes his eyes to recoil himself and lowers his voice

"You know what I mean. You are seeing it yourself. Don't be naive" He whispers.

"I am not naive" I retort annoyed.

"I know"

I raise my eyebrows.

"Look, if you are careful you'll be fine. But please." He's calmer now.

I look at him.

"Draco I am fine. I'll be careful. Okay?" I push him back gently smiling.

He sighs but he takes my word for it. The walls are cold. I feel my skin shiver. There were no fires here and the frosty air from the outside is creeping in from the forgotten window's cracks.

He places a hand on my cheek. I try to move it, but he resists.

He's piercing me with his gaze. He doesn't kiss me. He moves his hand to the pocket of his black trousers. He takes his hand back out and I see he's holding something with a feeble shine. He opens his palm. I look down at it, he looks at me.

Two silver coins. Rough and darkened edges. Some ineligible words stamped on it, and in the middle, a snake wrapped around itself.

He follows my gaze and stares at the coins with me. He smiles. He reaches for my hand resting beside me, lifts it up in front of me and opens it upwards to expose my palm. His hand tilts to drop one of the two coins in mine.

I look back up at him in confusion. He parts his lips in amusement.

"Always keep it with you. Hold it tight in your hands and mine will burn hot. I'll know you are thinking of me." He smirks

"I got the idea from the Granger girl"

"Draco why are you doing this now?" I ask him exasperated.