10 • Baby

The more he talked to Anna, the stronger his feelings grew for her.

And the fainter the string got.

————

The whole day, Dream had been avoiding George. When he'd walk to him, he'd just walk away without even making eye contact.

George stomped up to him. As he was about to walk away as expected, George grabbed his sleeve and spun him around to face him.

"Why are you avoiding me!?"

"What do you think, George?!" He gives in.

"Dream I—" He took a deep breath, "I really don't want Anna to get in between us."

"Oh really? 'Cause it seems like that's exactly what you wanted to happen." He pulled his arm away from George's grip.

"Why can't you just be happy for me!?"

Dream froze, exhaling shakily. He could feel tears forming at the rim of his eyes. He was happy.. for George. But not himself.

"Dream—"

"Lay off, George." He glared at him, walking back over to Sapnap.

They sat in frustrating silence, Dream grabbing fistfuls of hair, pulling it over his eyes. Finally, he let go and laid back.

Sapnap let out a breath, opening his mouth to talk. "Dream.. don't you think that was a bit— harsh?"

"How can I be happy for him if I'm not even happy with myself?" His voice was cracking a bit.

Sapnap could see a single teardrop fall down his cheek. He felt weak when it came to having to witness his closest friends crying. "Dream— please don't cry.."

He let out a sad laugh, "I'm sorry," He wiped his tears away.

"Don't be sorry, I just can't—"

"No no no it's okay, I completely understand." Dream dropped his head into his hands. "I just don't know what to do anymore." He sniffled.

"Dream.. George—" He cut himself off, remembering that he promised George not to tell Dream about his feelings.

"What about him?"

Should he tell? The promise would be broken but it might do him a favor. But if he had to be honest, he didn't like Anna so much either. After what Dream told him had occurred back at the café, how could he? Could he even be happy for George himself?

"George likes—"

"Sapnap can I talk to you?" George's soft voice spoke out from behind him.

Sapnap's eyes widened, sucking his teeth. "Yeah of course.." He turned back around to Dream who's face had a slight smile on it. "I'll be back."

-

The cool breeze hit them in the face as they opened the back door, sitting on a bench that was propped up against the wall.

"So what did you want to talk about, George?" He said as he sat down.

"I really like Anna and I know we just met but.."

Sapnap knew where this was going.

"I think I like her..." He said hesitantly.

"But—" He chewed at his lip, "What about Dream?"

George sighed, knowing they would have to come across this conversation. "Sapnap.." He paused, "I can't like Dream.. He's my best friend and I'm trying to forget my feelings."

I wish I could just tell him. Sapnap thought to himself.

"He is more than your best friend George he is literally your soulmate, Anna isn't the one for you!"

"I knew you wouldn't understand either. The string had already faded! Anna is my soulmate!" His stomach twisted saying that.

"George what have you done.." Sapnap shook his head, getting up and walking back inside.

-

"So..?" Dream questioned what they had talked about once Sapnap sat down, he could tell he was a bit stressed.

"Dream you don't get it.. you have to tell him before it's too late!"

"unless it is too late." He mumbled, but it was audible.

"What do you mean it's too late?" Dream tilted his head.

"The string is gone, Dream."

"What string?"

Shit. Sapnap you weren't supposed to say that, fuck. You are so stupid keep your mouth shut! He yelled at himself, internally facepalming.

"Sapnap answer me! What string!?" Dream inhaled sharply, "Is it what I think?"

Sapnap slowly stood up, "I'm just going to go talk to George real quick.. hah ha.."

He hurried out the backstage, leaving Dream to wonder all alone. He searched the room for George, but he wasn't anywhere. "Tubbo have you seen George?"

"Nope! But I think Purpled has, he saw him running out the door crying."

Crying?

"Thank's Tubbo." He waved and ran out the door, seeing George sitting on the sidewalk just across the street.

"George?!"

George looked up, his hair a mess and his eyes getting a bit puffy. "Sap—"

"Baby! I got your smoothie—"

Sapnap looked over at the voice and saw Anna, wait..

"Baby?" He stepped back.

George reached his hand out, shoving the smoothie away from him. "Sapnap wait—"

-

The situation was twice as frustrating for him. He had to suffer knowing his friends were soulmates, and now it's just unrequited love. He had to tell George.

But what if Dream wasn't ready?

He could be doing them a favor though. The thing is he didn't want it to come off as him wanting George to cut off all contact with Anna.

Though that's kinda the whole point.

He ran back inside, George running just a few feet behind him.

Sapnap slammed the door behind him, staring at himself in the bathroom mirror. He failed his friends. He failed as a friend. Trying to help them notice their feelings for each other just made everything worse.

Now Dream thinks he was just nagging at him to admit his feelings just to be rejected. But truly, he was just too late.

He should've just told them each other's feelings, maybe things would've turned out for the better then. This wouldn't be happening right now and perhaps Dream wouldn't be in the state he's currently in.

Maybe Anna wouldn't have gotten in the way.

What about his promise between him and George.

The promise between him and Dream as well.

He looked up at himself in the mirror, nothing but frustration was showcasing on his face. He pulled his fingers through strands of hair, adjusting his shirt and exhaling deeply and twisting the doorknob.

Promises were created to be broken anyways.