26: Conditions

[AN: Gavin is adjusting to the commoner life with Meyer. When they visited the king, he was asked to be the next to the throne.]

26: Conditions

"What are you saying, dad?" Gavin asked.

"You're young. You're fit. You're of age. You're clever. There's no other better candidate than you."

"I do not want... This is not what I..."

"Gavin, if I step down without an heir, the enemies and your cousins will scramble to fight for the throne. Our family will be shunted to the side. Do you want that?"

"Of course I don't. But -"

"I have to take care of my health as you said. I cannot do that if I keep appearing on meetings and other political stuff."

Gavin glanced at Meyer, both of them confused. The king cleared his throat.

"I still don't approve of this boy." He pointed at Meyer. "But I'm ready to accept that you don't want me to look for a partner for you. I don't care anymore about your preferences. Just... just lead the country."

They all stared silently at one another. If not for the seriousness of their conversation, they would look funny: the king holding a plate of inconsistent eggs, Meyer with his girly picnic basket, and Gavin looking like a statue.

"I'll give you time to decide. If you accept, you should return to the palace, stay in the south wing if you like."

"I will not leave Meyer, dad. I've told you before."

"Then employ him here. You can... continue with whatever you two share. But I don't want your relationship to go public. That's as far as I can offer you."

Gavin's heart was racing. He didn't say another word, but bowed and left with Meyer.

Their ride home was silent too, but as soon as they reached the condo, he paced around. Meyer knew he was thinking this through. Zee followed them inside. He asked Meyer without words what happened, but Meyer just shook his head.

He can understand why Gavin feels confused. People kept saying Phuwin is young, but they keep forgetting that Gavin is just 4 years older than him. He hasn't experienced a normal young adult life, yet he has to make great decisions that will affect him and possibly the whole country.

"Gavin, I have no problem at all if you become king."

But Gavin shook his head.

"Think about it. It's one heck of a choice, but the Thanakuns don't really have many options do they? What's holding you back?"

"I want a normal life, Meyer. I like it here!"

It took Meyer a minute to reply, as if hesitating and not wanting to say something, but...

"Sometimes, we have to let go of things we like if there's a bigger responsibility out there. Maybe the throne is really for you, Gavin. It looks like you're destined to be king."

"Do you not want me here?" Gavin's voice was accusing, that Zee wished he didn't follow. It was awkward seeing them argue.

"Of course I want you here! Do you think I'd like you to stress yourself? I'm being realistic. If your dad's sick to the point that he can't work, will you still let him rule for a couple of years just to wait for Phuwin to grow up?"