27: Coronation

[AN: Prince Gavin gave his options in order to be the next king: To expose Kao's crime, and to marry Meyer. Did the king agree?]

27: Coronation

Every person in Higher Pines waited with bated breath as they crowded the front of the Royal Palace. Their phones and cameras on the ready, and a few daring people tried to climb trees just to have a glimpse of what was going on. At long last, they all heaved a sigh of relief as the gates were opened, and some who were invited rushed inside after hours of waiting. For a very long time, they have a spectacular view of the palace hall where the royal family stood beside an important-looking bishop. They were all wearing regal outfits adorned with jewelry stones. Princess Rianne looked like she didn't want to be here at all, and glared every few minutes at the pedestal which was supporting a glass box containing a gold crown encrusted with expensive stones.

And now, the faint music seemed to become louder as a group of people entered the hall. A man in front spoke clearly and it could be heard from speakers so that people outside would know what was happening:

"His Royal Highness, Prince Gavin."

Bringing up the rear of the group was Prince Gavin, wearing regal clothing like the rest of his family, but barefoot. With a serious face, he walked on the long and wide red carpet, eyes on the throne behind his dad. He stopped in front and recited an oath of allegiance to the monarchy and the country. Princess Rianne sighed and rolled her eyes. Phuwin, however, was looking relieved.

After his long oath, the crowd cheered again but was subdued quickly as King Sev walked in front of the prince. He was holding a long sword, reciting legalities and patting his second son's shoulders lightly with the blade. Gavin bowed, his head almost touching the carpeted floor and stood up. The king placed a bulky ring embossed with a horse on his finger.

Royal assistants hurried beside him and placed shoes on his feet. He was still looking straight, aware of the cameras around him, documenting his historical coronation which everybody feared will not happen at all.

A few months ago, the country was hit yet again with a tremendous scandal: Prince Kao was banished by the king because of murder. The whole royal family received terrible reproval, threats, and accusations. They demanded answers and punishments but monarch influence was still stronger: the courts decided that the royal family will stay due to the reason that they opted to make Prince Kao face punishment instead of keeping it a secret.

And as Gavin stepped forward again, Kao watched from his single and lonely cell as his brother was robed with an overlarge red and royal mantle. It flowed behind him, sweeping the carpet as he walked, and he knelt in front of the bishop.

One of the guards in jail glanced at Kao, sighed, and shook his head.

"Stop it, Kao. Don't watch." The queen said, opening a bag filled with food.

"He deserves it. He deserves the throne." Kao said lifelessly.

"Stop saying that." The queen said in a shrilly voice. She opted to visit her own son locked far away than be in the palace attending a coronation she disapproves of. "Eat. I don't think they have proper food here, I keep telling Sev. Eat this."