6

Megan's pov:

We walked in the decorated space. It was pretty, I guess. I saw the paparazzi flashes come from behind me, obviously this wasn't anything new. Even from inside, I could hear the, "Megan, over here!" and the "Megan, you look great tonight!" from them.

As soon as we were fully inside, James walked off to talk to other business men. They must've known about his criminal past. Then again, not even Gotham news knew about it. No one knew but the people who work for him and me.

Visibly annoyed, I walked towards the bar. Maybe if I get drunk enough, I can pretend to be sick?

The bartender passed me the glasses of alcohol and I downed them. One after the other. It helped.

"Aren't you drinking too much?" a voice spoke behind me.

"Mind your fucking business!" I drunkenly turned to face whoever it was.

"Oh..Megan." He said. I furrowed my brows not recognising who this was in front of me.

"How..h-how do you know my name?" I tried to appear tough but miserably failed.

"You don't remember me? C'mon, I haven't changed that much. Well, the streak..." He pointed to the single white streak in his hair. I scanned his face trying to remember.

"Jason?"

He chuckled. God, I hadn't seen Jason since I was what 12? 13? We used to always talk at these kinda events. We would cause an absolute ruckus. But then he went abroad, for a long time. I didn't know why but it was heartbreaking seeing my only friend leave.

But now, he's back.

"Nice to see you again.."

"It's been forever!" I smiled giving him a hug. "Remember when-"

"I taught you how to dance? Yeah." He laughed. "Listen, I-"

Jason was cut off by the microphone feedback.

"Sorry, sorry.." Someone stood in front of the mic. Shit, I forgot I had to say some stupid speech. I was 1, drunk. And 2, unprepared.

"Could we please have the lovely Miss Megan Black to the stage?" He grinned and clapped. And everyone else did in unison. Jason smirked at me knowing damn well I was in no condition to be on stage.

I walked towards the stage and up the stairs. Then, I stood in front of everyone.

"I have nothing prepared. So I'll just talk!" I drunkenly giggled and cleared my throat.

"I remember being what 9 or 10. It was a nice day. I had Ice cream. My favourite! Me and my mother were just having fun. And then, things led to another and I arrive in this boring..corrupt city.." I looked around the room to see everyone's reaction.

They were all shocked. I heard them murmuring. I saw James face in the crowd. He was mortified but tried his best to not look it.

"Hey.. don't be weird about it. It was 10 years ago, I should get over it, right James?" I pointed at him.

One if his guys or whatever walked on stage and whispered in my ear,

"I think you should get down, okay?" I rolled my eyes.

"No..This is B-I's big birthday! I want to celebrate it with you all so.." I looked around for a glass of alcohol. Finally, I found one and raised it. "..can we all give a toast to Mr James Black?! The kindest, most humble and safest human person to be around. Give it up everybody!"

Scattered clapping was heard around the room. I laughed.

"Anyways, Fuck Gotham. Fuck everyone in this room and I want..to..sleep? Bye!" I smiled before leaving the stage.

"Ahah..she had a little too much to drink obviously.." I heard as I walked away from the stage. I felt James' eyes on me. He was probably furious. I didn't care though.

I walked out the room and into the hallway.

"So..that was a show.."