Chapter 9

{AN: Check out the images to visualize the world better}

Viri waited on the academy grounds. General black was approaching her from the lesser taken routes, he wanted this to be secret, it wasn't difficult to meet him halfway. The man was startled at the sight of Viri.

"Viridian. You have a report for me?"

Viri considered asking him questions but his restless heart convinced her otherwise.

"The younglings were stuck mid transition sir. That was why there was noise from the belltower. The younglings have been anxious."

"Do you know the cause of this?"

"No."

"Hmm Were you able to help them, bring them back to health?"

"I helped them calm down. They're resting. It will take sometime to recover their strength sir."

His heart was relaxed now. Viri noted it.

"Alright Viridian. Thankyou for your assistance. There should be no reason to worry if this was a 'trouble with changing' kind of an issue. Perhaps I'll need your assistance another time."

"Sir."

Viri started to walk back. "Viridian, how do you like being a Green?"

"I think the green suits me sir. Just as the black, you."

There it was. General Black's heart skipped a beat - the kind of reaction you'd have if you were scared. Viri had a good reason to suspect the man now. She bowed and headed to the academy.

Tonight, she'd visit a room other than her own. She marched to where she thought Sam lived. She asked for directions from one of the Greens, they stared at her terrified, then slowly got their shaking arms to point towards a direction.

She stood Infront of a blue door. But it wasn't the color that gave away Sam's room, it was the noises. Someone was getting very lucky behind this door. Too late to turn away, they'd sensed her. She knocked on the door. A breathless Sam shouted, "Who is it?"

"It's Viri. I need to speak with you"

Whoever was in the room reacted in panic. She heard zips being shut, shoes being put on and then exits through the window.

Sam was mortified. Just two minutes ago he'd been with Rebecca and Mortis, both excellent at keeping company in bed. They flew themselves outside at the sound of Viri. Sam tried to clean his bed and room as much as he could in 30 seconds. Pulled his pants on and flung the door open.

Sam was flushed. His white hair was messy - someone had clearly run their fingers through them. There were marks all over him that were clearly from the guests who jumped out the window. He lips were swollen and his fingers shaking. Viri decided enter and stare at the walls.

"Viri, I'm so sorry, I promise the room is usually a lot cleaner than this." Sam said, clearing out whatever he could.

"Your room is lovely." It was. The walls were dark grey, there were paintings, newspaper clippings and quotes on one wall, the window had a delicate collection of beautiful succulents on them. Even the underwear on the bed fit the aesthetic.

Sam blushed. "Thanks, would you like some tea?"

"No, thankyou. I'm here to talk about something."

"Let's talk over tea. I always have tea. Here"

Viri took the lovely chair and Sam crossed his legs on the bed. In the dark room, Sam looked like an angel.

"You remember the younglings? And then that guard by Sedra?"

"Yep. Been thinking about it"

"I heard something today. General black was talking to someone else, they spoke of me. And of something called the - Aeck." Viri explained the events of the evening to Sam.

"I hate to be negative but I do believe General black is being a little suspicious"

"I think so too. When we spoke....he reacted...strangely. I can't explain it but he was troubled by me. I can't seem to figure out why"

Omg, did Viri not know?

"Viri, I hate to be the one to say this to you. But I've come to notice that sometimes, people are scared of you."

"Everyone around me is terrified. But thankyou for wording it kindly"

"I mean... You are pretty killer. And I mean that with admiration."

Viri laughed. "I don't think anybody has called me a murderer this kindly before."

Sam was pinching himself to be sure that this was real. Viri was in his room, talking! Without him having to poke her. Is this what friendship looked like? He was definitely going to cry.

"I am nothing if not an honest man" Sam laughed along.

"This may sound crazy and unnecessary but I want to find out if something's wrong. Do you?"

"I am intrigued, to be honest"

"I need more information. You're good with people, this weekend, could you see if there's anything else that happened yesterday? Any information from the greens? But with discretion."

The old gods were either messing with him or he was actually being given a task by Viri. A duty rather. He was gonna murder this task. He would talk to everyone at Athoms if he had to.

He summoned his cool voice and said "Yeah, I can do that."

"Okay. I'll speak with the browns and find what I can. Maybe even go to the Belltower again."

So they were not a dynamic duo. Maybe the old gods were taking his requests too slow. Viri's frown shifted and she met his eyes with a smile. 

"I've only ever led a team into war. I've never really done... something like this with someone"

Sam's heart stopped. Or did it speed up?

"I don't want to push this on you. I know you've got a lot on your plate. With the trainings and everything, this would mean taking out whatever free time you get. Are you sure you want to do this?"

"YES" Sam shouted so loud Viri almost flinched. He cleared his throat.

"I mean, yes. Ofcourse. I want to help. If you're suspicious about the general, I trust your gut about it. We'll find what we can."

Viri began to rise up. The tea had calmed her, she was drowsy.

"Thanks. I'll see you tomorrow!"

Sam was loving the ease with which Viri said that. It may be a small thing to her but he knew that nobody walked into his door twice. Atleast not unless it was for sex. She was starting to feel a lot like a friend and he supposed he had general black to thank for it. Viri open the door to leave.

"Hey Viri, I don't know what's wrong or what we'll find out tomorrow. But thankyou, for choosing me for this job."

Viri smiled and then left with a "Goodnight Sam."

Sam closed the door and then looked at his bed. He found the other underwear he'd missed to hide under the sheets staring at him. He looked at the chair Infront of it. He had a big smile on his face, the kind that hurt. It wasn't because of the threesome earlier, it was Viri.