Chapter 64

Emerald : Who's that guy?

Sam : A friend.

Emerald : Your new boyfriend?

Sam ( laughs) : No...that's not my boyfriend.

Emerald : oh. Is he having an arguement with Viridian?

Sam : I think so, yeah. Why?

Emerald : Why? You're okay with that?

Sam (intrigued) : yeah. Why wouldn't I be.

Emerald huffs and starts braiding her hair tightly, Sam knows this is how she prepares for fights.

Emerald : How did you get here?

Sam : Long story. How did you get here?

Emerald : Viridian got me

Sam : And you...came?

Emerald : Yes, why is that hard for you to believe.

Sam wasn't sure. Emerald is one of the most stubborn people he knew. She hadn't spoken to him in ages. He knew his sister, she wasn't someone who listened. But then again, Viridian isn't just anyone.

Sam : You must like Viridian enough to bear with me.

Emerald smiled.

This is a totally natural response to a statement like that. Totally. However, it is not natural for Emerald. At all. Emerald doesn't smile, not unless it's for her customers. And that smile is different. This is a different smile, this has touched her eyes and her 6 feet tall wall has come down and Sam is instantly invested.

*

Viri waits for Aeck to speak. Whatever she's done, it has clearly upset Aeck. And that wasn't a part of her plan...at all.

Viri : Aeck... Talk to me.

Aeck (with iron will) : You realise my parents live here right?

Viri : Yes.

Aeck : You realise I'm their kid. I'm the "lost heir" as you people call it. Do you think I like being stuck here when my parents are so close?

Viri is silent. Aeck is pretty sure it's working. He feels the hurt as soon as she does. And he doesn't give in.

Aeck : I'm tired of being held captive. I'm tired of not having someone. And I know I agreed to this, to following the plan but do you not care?

Viri : I do.

Aeck : Well it really doesn't look like it.

Again. There's that hurt again. He goes on.

Aeck : You didn't even think of asking me. We've not talked. We never talk. You come here, you talk to Sam. You talk about the plan but you and I...we don't talk.

Viri's eyes are still on him. So he meets them. They soften a little. She's still hurt, because she thinks he's hurt. It's extremely endearing but when you're the god of pain, you know how to use it. And you know what to do to steer it.

Aeck : I don't think you want to. Which makes sense. Why would you? I'm just some guy who you found, a piece of this puzzle you're trying to fix. Now there's another piece so ofcourse that's what has your attention.

Viri : Aeck that's not..

Aeck : I actually thought...I thought we had something. Pathetic, I know. I thought you liked me back.

Viri : I ..

Aeck : You don't. Because if you did, you'd care. You'd have the decency to ask me. You'd fucking talk. But no, you'd rather walk around, plan on hunting another god. You'd rather I stay here, spend everyday scared of who has my gemstone.

Viri's been accused. That was the plan. And it would work, because it's unexpected. And she'd believe it, because it's coming from him. Now...he waits for her to respond.

Viri : You think...you think I'm not looking for the gemstone?

A question. Perfect.

Aeck : Did you even think of the gemstone?

It's a low blow. He knows it.

Viri looks at him. Now she's hurt and confused. She understands him, what he's going through better than anybody, so questioning it works perfectly. He's thrown a lot of darts, hoping one would land home. But she's Viri, so she speaks evenly.

Viri : I'm sorry we haven't talked. I... I'm sorry I didn't ask. I was so focused on the planning. Your parents ...I should have thought of that sooner.

She walks towards him. He's as still as he can be.

Viri : I'm so sorry Aeck, I just...I was stressed and it somehow didn't occur to me. I thought you'd bring it up if it bothered you, I'm really sorry.

Aeck nodded. He couldn't help it, it's hard to deny her of anything.

Viri : The gemstone. I...

He had one job. He had to do it right.

Aeck : You were too focused on the plan you didn't think it was important enough. I get it.

Viri (surprisingly still calm) : Ofcourse not, why would you think

Aeck (determined) : You know what I think viridian?

Viri just stares plainly at him. It makes sense. He's tone is fucking annoying. Even to him.

Aeck : I think you'd rather have me without the gemstone. I think you'd rather I be controlled. I think you'd rather, I stay weak because then, you don't have to worry about me leaving. I would be accessible. You could play with me anytime you wanted. Because that's what you do! You play god and leave people to rot!

And he walks out. He has no idea if his legs are shaking. He know they don't seem to be shaking. Because he sees Sam and he can see what he's projecting. Aeck looks cold, arrogant and precisely the god everyone expects him to be. That pointy bastard that uses everything you've thrown his direction to hurt you.

It wouldn't make sense. Not one bit of his argument makes sense. But gods get hurt easy and luckily for him, he's an expert at all things pain. Now, the Viridian standing next to him isn't the god who whispered in his ear. Nope, this is the face of the god who trusted someone with her worst nightmare. And in return...

You play god and leave people to rot.

She's angry. She's extremely angry. Because she doesn't believe it, no. She's angry he believes it. And that she ever believed in him. He fucked up, he knows. But Aeck isn't going to drop the act now, too much is at stake. But gods, anger looks divine on her.