Chapter 76

King : That's not him.

All heads snapped at the king's distasteful words.

Viridian (threateningly) : Vermilion.

The claw of fear righted Vermilion's head a little. Jade took the opportunity to smooth things over.

Jade : The last god helped us escape the cave. We had been hiding for a few days and then the blacks raided the villages and brought us here.

King (looking at Viri and somehow cocky) : They took him with you around? That doesn't seem like very 'last god' like.

Aeck : You're arrogant for a chained godling.

Everyone but Viri looked at Aeck. He was usually silent and didn't make comments this... Sassy? Sam almost mentally high fived him. Viri showed the fainted hint of amusement. The slight smile on her face was enough to lift Aeck's mood.

King : A prince doesn't speak disrespectfully to his king. 

Viri : Its a good thing we're gods then.

Now it was the kingsmen who spoke.

Kingsmen : Vermilion, The lost heir has returned. He is a god who walks free. The last god has revealed themself. It is time to put aside the crown.

There was a eerie silence. Aeck waited to feel something. Not a thing. The king seemed to have an odd reaction. Which wasn't surprising considering how his first reaction to seeing his long lost son was 'thats not him'.

Surprising everyone, it was Sam who spoke to the king.

Sam : You led the blacks to the tomb. They discovered the gemstones and what they hold. Since then, they've waited for the gods to emerge. You were trapped first, then Aeck and then Viri. Having any three of you would mean absolute power but all three of you? It would be limitless. You've all tried to overpower the dragon people on your own and only one of you has succeeded in freeing themselves. If I were you, I'd listen to that one.

Jade breathed proudly. Ofcourse Sam would articulate it best. Although inappropriately timed, Jade felt the need to lean into him.

King : They held your mother captive. In exchange for truth. She was so young and had trusted me with everything, her people, her heart, I couldn't... I couldn't let them have her. So I gave in. I took them to the tomb, they had known of the gemstones, I merely confirmed their theories. They've taken my freedom but I still get to spend my days with the one I love.

Sam : Why didn't you protect your son?

Kingsmen : He's weak.

The king's face changed to a scowl. Sam felt the moisture change, like the atoms were adjusting for whatever was about to happen.

King : Why did you come here? How did you get here? Do you think you can vanish my guards, corner me down and take the crown from me? Isn't this beneath the great last god?

Sam : Nobody's threatening the crown.

Jade : Why aren't you relieved to be found?

Kingsmen : The last god could save you.

***

And that's it. That was when it happened. Sam remembers everything in painfully slow detail. Everyone moved in carefully choreographed way and Sam regretted every second of it.

The king snapped. One would presume that the god of anger would also be patient, however, this wasn't the case. The man wasn't overwhelmed with joy to reunite with his son, he wasn't overjoyed with a hope to be free, he wasn't even scared for his life. He was simply threatened. And he acted like it.

Vermilion changed. The chambers were big enough. His violet scream echoed through Sam's head. He wasn't sure if it was awe or simply dread that took over him. He saw Jade's eyes  widen as the wind dragon tried to usher both Jade and Sam to safety. Away from the gods. Allowing the gods to deal with this. And Sam would let the gods deal with this. He'd calmly resign as the gods went for each other. But not Viri. Never Viri. She may be a god but they were a team, with or without all this drama.

Jade (softly) : She'll be okay.

Sam let him repeat that several times and then watched his shadow leave. His head was too loud with the events of what had transpired a few hours ago

Sam saw Viri's eyes change but that was all. She was calm, steady, completely at ease. But then Sam's eyes turned to check Aeck. He saw what he had to do.
Aeck wasn't just ready to attack and block Vermilion. He was angry. Very, very angry. Which is justified and completely rational but not very useful when you're fighting against the god of anger.

Sam had moved the ancient wind dragon with more force than the man could possibly endure.  He moved as quick as water to shield Viri from what was to follow. Sam knew it, Viri could exhale her power but Aeck's anger would help Vermilion manipulate his power. That would mean that both gods, king and the heir, would end up attacking Viri.

Clearly, that wouldn't do. Sam was a water dragon. He couldn't use water to stop gods. So he used himself, he didn't have the time to change so he wrapped his body and all the extra height around Viri to shield her. He'd closed his eyes. Dedicated to absorb his last breath protecting the one thing he cherished most. Power, angry gods, the entire kingdom was nothing in comparison. So he'd closed his eyes to happily take the blow.