Chapter 12

Sam and Viri were heading back to their rooms. Sam held his jacket on his arm while Viri held her heels. It was a short walk and Sam was telling her about all the awkward information he had gathered, that's when she felt it.

Sam watched Viri's face go from relaxed to hyper alert.

"What's wrong?"

"It's the belltower"

They didn't have to look at each other. They started to run. Neither stopped until they reached the kids. There was the usual silence and they waited. It took longer than usual.

"Maybe they're asleep?" Sam whispered.

Viri gestured him to stay quiet. She tried to concentrate on the feeling she had gotten in the academy. It was too silent. Sam and her went up the stairs. Viri knew only because of her training that Sam was beside her, the kid was good, she couldn't even hear him breathe. They reached the first floor. Nothing. Not a soul. They went upstairs and that's when Viri had to close Sam's mouth to keep him from gasping. The half dragon younglings were unconcious and on the floor. There was blood. A lot of blood. Viri couldn't be sure if they were even breathing but it weren't the younglings that took Sam's breath out of his lungs. It was the presence of another dragon. Not the usual kind.

Viri and Sam stared at the roof. They could hear it. It was big. One of the Blacks? When they stepped closer to the roof, the world stilled. It sensed them and Sam fell on his knees screaming. Viri stilled. She felt the dragon. She felt it. And she knew the dragon felt her. There was silence for a second and then she heard it fly away.

Viri turned to Sam and tried to get him to calm down. Sam coughed and then got up with little difficulty. Bless his ability to heal quickly.

"What the fuck was that?"

"I don't know. Are you okay?"

"No. I mean I'm fine but Viri, It hurt me. Without..without"

"Without touching you. You feel pain but everywhere."

"Yes. Wait, how do you know that? Are you okay?"

"I'm okay. Sam, we need to help the kids. You think you're up for it?"

Sam had fallen and screamed like a baby at the first hint of pain. Get up you big bubble.
How was he going to get over this humiliation. But Viri's concern eased the pain away, he sprung up.

"Ofcourse! Lucky for you, I love splashing water at unconcious people."

Sam got up. Changed and helped the younglings to wake up. The kids didn't remember anything. They were shocked and confused. They were all exhausted. This time, Viri knew what had happened. She looked for Sky. The kid was trying to turn back. She approached him and did her thing. Sky changed and took a minute to realise what had happened.

"Sky, Its okay, I'm here. It's okay"

"Sir. Oh the gods. Did that work?"

"Yes, I got your message. We made it on time. I think"

"You did! It happened like 5 minutes ago. I felt it this time. The pain, it was gradual. I heard something on the roof. I don't remember what"

"It's okay. You've done great Sky. Thankyou. Now I need you rest. I'll stay here, I'll stand guard. Okay?

"Thankyou sir. If you'll excuse me"

Sam had changed back and sat on the floor. Viri approached him and felt his heart relax.

"Sam?"

"The younglings are alright. They're in bed. What happened? What was that? What's going on? Are you sure you're okay?"

Did Sam not know that it was a dragon?

"Sam. What did you see? And yes, I am okay."

"I saw nothing. One moment I  was beside you and the next there was this excruciating ache in my chest. For a minute I thought you'd attacked me." He laughed.

How had she felt the dragon? Was that a dragon? Something told her it was. But she hadn't seen or heard it. She just...felt. She smiled at Sam, she knew he was trying to lighten up the mood. And then it came back to her. It made sense.

She remembered general black talking to that other person.

"That day... 'We'll stick to the plan sir. You may summon us again in two days. We'll have the Aeck ready for you.' That's what they had told general black. Remember? That was exactly two nights from today"

Sam looked at her. They both looked at each other, they didn't know much but they knew General Black was onto something. They didn't know what it was or why but they knew now that it was dangerous.