Chapter 29

"Here you go. I'm taking these for Viri." Sam served the god and the shapeshifter a plate with fluflly pancakes, the kind Viri liked without any syrup, just fruits. He left as they stared at the pancakes. He head straight for Viri's room. It was easy to find, he simply walked to where his body sensed dread. He froze again on the same spot. After a heartbeat, he realised Viri didn't know it was him trying to approach her. So he let in the fear, let it in completely and kept his head clear. The air turned warm in a second. He walked to her room and knocked on the door. There was no response so he walked in trying to balance the tray in his hand.

"Viri? It's Sam."

It was pitch dark inside the room. Sam assumed this one had no windows. It was possible when you were stuck in a cave. And then he realised that it wasn't darkness. It moved. He steadied himself with a little help from the door. As Viri moved, sunlight started to pour in through windows. It was the best room, it was probably the biggest given it could accommodate her. Sam carefully watched Viri moving her dragon self around. He didn't understand what she was doing. The wings were tucked in closely and when she found a space big enough, she plopped down. Sam was staring at her back. She'd gone as far away from him as possible.

"I...I got pancakes. Are you hungry?"

The ancient god just nodded. Sam was expecting a scary voice. He smiled.

"You don't have any clothes do you?"

"No." Viri responded. The voice was scary but she wasn't speaking. He heard it in his head.

"Woah...how did you do that?" To that, there was no response.

"Hey...it's okay. We're okay. I'll get you some clothes okay? Eat up! These dudes are creeping me out, you gotta change back!" Sam tried to sound as enthusiastic as he could.

And as he was approaching the door, Viri turned. Those blackout eyes stared at him, the hint of deep green peaking out just enough to remind him that this was still his friend. Scary, murderous, ancient and super powerful but friend.

"Sam. I'm sorry I scared you."

Sam couldn't form words. He was absolutely disgusted by the Aeck's eyes but Viri's looked absolutely glorious. Her eyes looked like the forest on a moonless night. They resembled the urge to fall when you got into of a cliff. Viri, the god of fear, was crafted unnecessarily well. She was supposed to be nightmares and all things scary but those eyes...Sam felt a blush creep in. He tried to look away.

"I'm glad you're okay. Do you...feel okay?"

"I'll come back. Real fast." And then he felt.

Sam ran outside of Viri's room. He couldn't believe he was staring outright at a god.

It doesn't matter if she has pretty eyes. She's always had pretty eyes. But how are they the perfect green? Gods I'd let her kill me. I need to calm down. Clothes, she needs clothes. My friend is the last god from the legends and is waiting for me to get her clothes....bless the old gods!

"Do you usually stop breathing or should I be concerned?"

The shapeshifter was back. Ugh.

"You're done with the pancakes. I was just processing."

"The...yes, they were...like pillows."

Sam was confused by that specific comment.

"Tasty pillows. Anyway, have you met her? Is she alright? Does she need anything? Does she not like hot water for her baths?"

Sam was very curious about why the shapeshifter seemed devoted to Viri and just plain uninterested on him.

"Um...she needs clothes. I can go get them."

"There's no need. We've already made arrangements. I'll just go get her suitcase."

"You got our clothes? Why?" Sam was getting the creeps from this guy now.

"I'm a good host. That's why. Stay here."

The shapeshifter returned with a neatly folded pair of clothes. From the looks of it, it had been washed and then ironed. Sam took it straight to Viri. He kept his eyes closed with his hand and dropped the clothes on what he assumed was a surface. He was almost unsure if Viri was in the room but then he hit a wall and heard her wince.

"They want me to ask you if you want dinner in the room or if you'll come down."

"I'll come."

"Thank the lords." The insanely inappropriate comment was followed by awkward silence which got Sam out quickly.

*

Viri could not wrap her head around everything that had happened. She got into the cave expecting a god, she didn't know what she would do if she found one. Since the Belltower incident, Viri knew that if it tried to attack Sam again, she'd step in. But now that she had followed the strangely excited panther into a cave and attacked the god of pain for hurting her friend, she wasn't sure of anything. She had felt the dread Sam went through when he saw her change. Her friend was now scared of her, for extremely good reasons. Sam seemed just as petrified when he'd come into her room offering food. But she was glad he was atleast talking to her.

Viri decided to take a bath. The water was warm, she knew because the shapeshifter kept coming into the bathroom with warm water every three hours. She could appreciate the effort now. She'd been so scared about Sam until now. Now that he was awake, she could look into her surroundings. When Sam had collapsed, she remembered giving threats through a silent stare. She'd been an old god a few hours ago. In her own clothes, she felt better. More dragon and less god. She decided to step out and face the audience she'd tried to kill.