chapter 75

Sam could hear Viri walk into the kings chambers. Which was odd, he didn't remember ever hearing her. She usually just... appeared. Somehow this was scarier. Sam was bent down and behind him stood the other three gentlemen, all holding their breath, including the very old wind dragon.
Sam hadn't bothered looking at the king, he was waiting for the fire dragons to barge in.

King : I haven't had a visitor in a while.

Viri came into focus quickly. She didn't dress as per usual. These weren't practical clothes but then again, Sam doubted she needed comfort in any room.

Viri : It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Lord Vermillion.

His majesty was standing on the very end of his chambers. Dressed in royal attire that screamed 'im the one in power', Sam had the strangest urge to giggle. He controlled it. The king walked slowly to an extravagant chair that could pass for a subtle throne and sat down with a smile on his face.

King : It's been a while...since anyone has used my name.

Viri : Would you prefer I call you king?

King : I could have your head for it child.

Viri (unfazed) : I notice your guards are out.

The king seemed to take a notice of that. Now he was intrigued.

King : I don't need the guards to hurt you.

Viri : I'm aware. Being as you're the god.

The king now lay back calmly.

King : You're here for the gemstone. How surprising. I hate to tell you but it isn't anywhere near me. You should check with those blacks. And then proceed with the god hunting.

Viri : How have they trapped you here?

King : Do you seriously believe I'll tell you?

Viri : I'm either going to hold you captive or set you free. Either way, the truth doesn't hurt you.

Aeck felt the pain flash in the king's eyes. The remorse of being a god and yet, prisoner. The man seemed tired but then the color of his eyes changed. God eyes. Only his blacked to show two magnificent amethyst purple irises. He turned to look at Viri.

King : I suppose you're right. Ofcourse, I could spare us both the predicament and just kill you.

And with a gasp from Jade who was ready to launch himself to shield Viri, Sam saw her unfold gracefully. It was amusing, to watch it. There was no grand summoning of god wings or the green flame he remembered from a couple of nights ago. Viridian simply stood, and in the next blink, lifted her eyelids to reveal the demon eyes. 

The king's jaw dropped and his eyes narrowed as fear settled, followed with dread and panic. Aeck felt pain leave and something entirely cold take over the king of Athoms. Aeck leaned back.

King : Vermilion it is then. God... Lord? Forgive my arrogance.

Jade (whispering) : I had the same question.

The wind dragon silently judged him.

Viridian had changed the dynamic quickly. The king no longer looked high and mighty on his little chair, he seemed trapped.

Viridian : Viridian. I believe it's only fit we call each other by our name, considering... (Gestured vaguely to him)

King : Viridian. It's...it's an honor. You must be...the...

Viridian : The last god, yes.

King (trying to compose himself) : How long have you... Wait a minute...does that mean they don't..? You could end this! This could all be saved!

(The king shot up from his chair)

Viridian (sternly) : Sit down Vermilion.

King (complying) : Okay.

Viridian : I have questions I need to ask you.

King : Ofcourse. How rude of me. Please go ahead.

Viridian : You've been kept captive for how long?

King : Since I was young. I was brought to Athoms when I was a young boy. I had fought in the wars and they realised something was off.

Viridian :  You're not telling me everything.

King shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

King : I'm afraid I have my reservations as well. I mean no disrespect but you're the first god I've met.

Viri : I need to know why they're keeping the gods prisoners.

King (humorless laughing) : For power.

Viri : Don't they already have that with you?

King : The thing about power is that it's never quite enough. Atleast not for the dragons.

Viri : And they discovered the gemstones how?

King : I told them about it.

Jade almost shot through the crowd and came towards Viri. He seemed like this conversation needed saving.

Jade : Lord, it isn't what it sounds like. He isn't responsible for what happened with Aeck.

Now the king stood up. Aeck felt it, the pain crawl back up the man's heart.

King : You know of Aeck? Shapeshifter? What is going on.

Jade : Well there's much to be discussed. Your son is free. The last god helped us.

King : Where is my son?

Aeck felt a cold air push him forward. He walked in with the wind dragon to meet his father.