Chapter 45

Sam has spoken words really quickly for 5 or 10 minutes. Viri hadn't grasped a single one. She had to sit down on the bed, rest her back on the cold stone walls of the cave and breathe for a few seconds. It wasn't so much about Jade as it was the statement 'i think I'm falling for...'. Was that what this was? Did she suspect she was falling too? This was not on the plan, this is a completely insane variable.

Viri looked up from her palms and got a grip on the situation.

Viri : Sam....you have to slow down.

Sam : I'm not making any sense am I? Gods I knew it.

Viri : You think you're falling for Jade?

Sam : I think I am!

Viri : Okay... Tell me everything.

Sam snapped out of his high. He had poured out words but that was just a way to let out the steam. He knew he could talk to Viri but he didn't think she'd be interested!

Sam : I...I don't know if I'm overthinking it.

Viri : Sam...let it out. I can listen and you can figure it out. Go on.

Sam : Okay so ever since I've met him... he's been...well...not polite. But I thought that was an 'i don't know this stranger' guy thing. And when the Black's came....that was so chaotic. My mind was everywhere.

Viri : Because you were stressed out

Sam : Exactly. I didn't know where you were, I didn't know what was happening. And then part 2, he asks my help with the meat. And then I met him, by Sedra and I don't know...he opened upto me. In a very...very 'this is my story' kinda way. And I had this crazy need to want to hug him and protect him. That's not normal is it?

Viri : You're a protective person.

Sam : I am. You're right. The conversation... It felt so easy you know? And then after dinner? Gods save me Viri after dinner him and I were at the kitchen....

***

Sam, Aeck and Jade had been in the kitchen. Aeck was washing the same plate for a really long time, Sam didn't bother. He was in charge of packing for tomorrow. Jade came in a minute later from somewhere deeper in the kitchen with a leather bag.

Jade : Here.

Sam : Thanks! I was just looking for a bag.

Jade : I know. Did you find the cheese?

Sam : Nope. At it for sometime now.

Jade shook his head in slight disappointment and went to get the cheese.

Jade : You have to store the cheese in the right place. Some are too smelly and others are just rat favourites...I do not like changing into a cat.

Sam would have responded had he not absolutely lost his mind. Jade had climbed the kitchen surface to reach the top most shelf where the cheese was kept in a cute little basket. He grabbed the basket and a tiny packet with what looked like old flour, tilted to the front and bounced off of his head.

Jade looked both surprised and offended at the same time. Something about seeing Jade with his guard down for a minute made Sam's insides relax and tighten at the same time.

Jade : I've asked you not to keep anything with the cheese Aeck! Not everyone is a walking giant!

Aeck nodded.

Jade : Wow we're leaving and already he has forgotten to show me respect.

Jade got down and handed Sam the cheese, who thoughtlessly took it. He turned to dust the little bits of flour off his head when Sam caught his hand and held him in place. Sam would have noticed how shocked Jade was at it if he wasn't staring at him like life depended on it.